Part 5

~Elias’ Point Of View~

I awoke with a sleepy start. The sun was just beginning to make its appearance over the Eastern hills, signalling dawn. I let out a drowsy yawn, rubbing my freshly awoken eyes. There was no time to sleep in today as there was much work to do. Trouble was brewing in the West.

They resented me as their King, wanting to break off from my Kingdom with their own form of rules and governing. The loss of land would be a catastrophic stab to my country’s coin purse, so I had to do everything in my power to prevent this from happening. 

All headache-worthy stuff really. My father made it look so easy.

I sat up, my bed-hair flopping lazily over my forehead. I clasp the hair in my palms and scratch my scalp in an attempt to flatten the blonde mess upon my head. I notice _____ still sound asleep next to my slouched frame, her hair flowing around her as rays do from the sun. She had had such a rough night; I sure hope she is feeling better now. I didn’t like to see her in such distress. I reach to touch the kink in her delicate hair, before curling my fingers away and sighing.

I stared at her for a moment longer, before quietly climbing out of my bed with a silent stretch. I changed into my day uniform in the privacy of my changing curtain, ready just before the sun had fully climbed over the Eastern hills.

I couldn’t help but steal another glance at the snoozing mystery in my bed as I fixed my cuffs. I watched her chest rise and fall under the soft sheets with each sleeping breath. She had an unpleasant frown tugged upon her brow that crinkled her forehead. Her lips were pursed and her cheeks sunken, as if she was having an undesirable dream. I took a soft step towards her, brushing the hair from her face with my pale fingers. Leaning down, I grazed my lips along her hard forehead. She mumbled sleepy nothings, the frown from her face dropping and her lips curling into a sleeping smile. I nibbled my lip and smiled back down at her. 

The skin contact left my lips tingling and sensitive, a slight pleasurable feeling that sent strange chills to my gut. I sighed and closed my eyes, trying to ignore the desire within to touch her again. To graze my lips down her jaw... to feel her warm fingers entangled within my cold ones. I breathed out with a slight growl, mentally shaking these thoughts from my mind.

I scribbled down a note with my apologies for my absence for the day, placing it neatly on her bedside table, and then wordlessly left the room.

~Reader Point Of View~

You stirred from your sleep, thrashing around with a grumble. The sun was high in the sky at this point, its rays shining through the large windows and illuminating the room unpleasantly bright. It hurt your sleepy eyes. The room was stiflingly warm and the thin material of your night gown clung to your body like a second skin, forcing you to tug at the fabric irritably. You buried your face into your pillow, mumbling curse words to yourself. You felt the signs of a headache begin to creepy past your temples towards your forehead. Like hundreds of little soldiers making camp within your skull. contempt

You tiredly flicked away a bead of sweat from your face, a sigh of frustration flaring your nostrils as you remembered the events that took place last night. You tensed, tilting your head towards the bed space next to you, only to see an ocean of empty silk sheets. You pursed your lips tightly as you lifted yourself to sit up in bed, crossing your legs and leaning up against the large headboard, your chin lifted, eyes closed.