Episode 1:Beginings P1

Start from the beginning

Varian's eyes widened. He knew it was bad when an adult at a school told a parent that they should stop their child from trying to learn on their own. "You mean at the school?"

"At home too. He thinks that you shouldn't continue until you're of age," Quirin explained.

"You're... you're not going to do that... are you?" the teen could feel his breath caught in his chest. The thought of losing his privilege to his experiments was horrifying.

"No..." Quirin began slowly. "But I'm not going to totally shoot it down. I just wanted to give you a heads up. It's not because you did anything wrong, I want to make that clear. It'll just be a precaution to keep you safe, but not yet. I'm going to think about it."

"Al-alright," Varian mumbled, not liking the idea any way shape or form. He opened his car door and swung his legs out. He felt his father grab his hand that lingered on the dashboard and give it squeeze. Varian looked at him.

"I'm not mad. I promise," his father assured him.

"Ok," Varian answered quietly before getting out of the car. He swung his backpack over his shoulder and went into the house. 

Quirin leaned back in the driver's seat. He exhaled as he watched his son go sadly into the house. "Oh, Ulla. You always knew the answer to everything. If only you were still here, you'd know what to do."

Once Varian was inside, the first thing he did was go to the fridge. He grabbed a can of coke and a bag of doritos from the pantry. Then he went to the garage and sat at his desk that held two computers. His fingers immediately flew across the keyboard once the screens flickered to life, typing out a formula. It was much more simple to just jump into the world of science when life was bumpy. There was always a solution to math and science, even if the answer was that there was no way of solving it. Sometimes he felt like there was no way of solving the problems in life. No matter how hard he tried or what he did.

He glanced over at the picture over to his left. It was him and his mom doing his first rocket science. He was five at the time. He looked into his mother's shining blue eyes as they smiled, watching Varian laugh. How he missed those days. Him and his mom doing science together, but it would never happen again. It had been two years since she died. Ever since then, he plunged into his science much more, especially when she first died. Now, it was just him and his dad.

Varian loved his father, more than anyone else alive. He would go through desperate lengths to make his father proud, and prove himself to his dad that he was worth being proud of. They just never seemed to understand each other. His mom was always there to bring the two together and help them understand each other. Now that she was gone... they had to figure things out themselves.

The teen sighed as he went back to work. He didn't want to think about what wasn't there anymore. There was a buzzing next to him. He glanced down at his phone. It was just a text from the phone company. What did he think it was? The only numbers he had were his father, aunt Adira, and uncle Hector's. He shook his head and continued to type away furiously.

~~~~~~~~~~

"So, do you have the list of your classmates? You don't want to miss one," Mrs. Guard asked her son.

"Uh, yup, I think so," Dennis replied. "I was thinking, there's this kid in Cass's class who's about my age. I thought I could invite him too. I mean, c'mon, his entire class is at least two years older than he is."

Mrs. Guard looked at her son. "Oh? I didn't know that. How on earth is he in her class if he's your age. Fifteen and a senior?"

"I heard he's really smart," Dennis explained.