Chapter 14: Figure It Out

Start from the beginning

                I shrugged. “There’s no person I can think of. He doesn’t talk to me.”

                I went to his messages and tapped on the first thread from and unknown number. The person was threatening him. Saying they were going to come after him and he better watch his back. The last one was sent only moments before I unlocked his phone.

It simply said ‘Hi, Noah.’

                “What the hell?” I whispered.

Willow sucked in a breath and exhaled slowly. “They know.”

I quickly typed back ‘Who is this?’

                ‘Wouldn’t you like to know.’ Came back as a reply.

                ‘Where’s Scott?’

A few minutes later   ‘Why? It’s not like you care about him. No one does.

When I didn’t reply, another message came in. ‘Give the phone to Willow.

                I looked at Willow and she had a panicked look on her face as she shook her head.

Another message came in. ‘Now.

                “Can they see us?” Willow asked, her voice shaking with worry.

The phone buzzed in my hand and we looked down at the message. ‘And we can hear you.

                We.

Willow ran out of the room before I caught her.

                I threw the phone on my bed and ran after her. I heard the slamming of the basement door and rushed towards it. I didn’t hesitate to open the door and run down the stairs. Willow was pacing the room, a hand on her chest, hyperventilating. “Willow—”

                “They’ve been watching us, Noah. Whoever they are.”

Talk about feeling violated. Who says they aren’t watching us now? “Do you still have Larson’s direct number?”

Willow grabbed her phone from her pocket and read off the number to me. I put it into my phone, not pressing send just yet.

                “What’s he going to do?”

                “He can probably trace where it’s coming from. Let’s go.”

I finally pressed send and let it ring.

                While it was ringing, Willow threw me on of my sweatshirts she stole. I put the phone on speaker just in time for a groggy voice to answer. “Larson, its Willow Abernathy.”

                “Willow? What are you doing calling me at this hour?”

She looked at me before speaking again. “I need your help. It’s urgent.”

Larson sighed and you could hear the creak of a bed as he moved. “Meet me at the station.”

The phone call ended quicker than it started.

                I made Willow get the car started while I ran upstairs and grabbed Scott’s phone. I looked down at it while I made my way outside. ‘Don’t do anything stupid, Noah.’  Too late for that.

                I hopped into the passenger seat and Willow backed out of the driveway. She sped most of the way, slowing down occasionally when she had to stop at a red light. She was still breathing heavily but for the most part stayed put together even though I know she wanted to fall apart. I couldn’t take credit for that.