Chapter 6: The Pretending Game

Start from the beginning

The vice president held back the urge to roll her eyes. Inosuke was trying to mess with her, but she wasn't going to let this slide. "It'll be a nightmare for me to know what is in your checklist, Hashibira-kun. Please keep your unimportant thoughts to yourself."

Hashibira-kun. Aoi had never called him with that name.

He was silent for a while, until Aoi reminded him about his uniform again. "Button up your shirt before any of the teachers see you."

"No."

"You will regret it."

"No."

"Can you not cause trouble during your first day?" Aoi scolded, her voice was beginning to rise.

She glanced at her watch and they both already spent five minutes just bickering. She needed to be within the timeframe to follow the schedule.

Inosuke departed his arms to display his exposed chest. Without thinking, Inosuke blurted out, "Why don't you do it yourself if you hate this so much?"

He didn't know where did his courage come from. Inosuke didn't plan to tease her to this point, but it seemed like his tactic worked. Although he was sure Aoi's throat was parched because of all that talking, she coughed in response.

Kanao quickly patted her back, but she was angry for Inosuke to do that to Aoi. She tilted her head to look at him and exhorted, "T-this is why Shinobu-sensei and Kanae-sensei warned us about people like you."

The others, who stayed within the sidelines, began to feel uncomfortable. Tanjiro tried to interrupt, but he was unsuccessful. "Hey, I think there's a peaceful way for us to solve this—"

Inosuke hit Tanjiro's shoulder and the boy fell towards his friends. "Shut it, Gonpachiro!"

Fortunately, Genya and Zenitsu managed to avoid him from falling. Nezuko, even though quiet, made an impatient sound. Kanao felt more offended when someone as kind as Tanjiro was a victim to his brashness.

"B-behave yourself," Kanao managed. Kanao was easily embarrassed to witness everyone's stare on her, but she tried her best to have Aoi's back.

Inosuke eased as his shoulders fell. He retorted, "I just stated that I want her to button up my shirt."

He pursed his lips and pretended to whistle as his eyes wandered on the walls.

Aoi didn't imagine that she would be affected by the same attack. Her cheeks immediately blushed in response, so she made herself cough and retch louder to hide her face. They all believed she was red because of her itchy throat. Kanao still had her hand on Aoi's back as she stole glances to her boyfriend.

Inosuke didn't know why he loved having the upper hand. Aoi liked propriety and she was an excellent actress. For some reason, he wanted her to get busted, but she was such an amazing pretender. Resorting to his killer move, Inosuke knew Aoi would become embarrassed at the slightest sign of intimacy between them.

Eyebrows furrowed, Aoi proclaimed, "I'm reporting you to the principal. Perhaps he'll decide to send you back to your old school."

Not admitting defeat, Inosuke fiddled with his shirt with a grin on his face. Much less to everyone's expectations, he slipped it off his shoulders, which caused Kanao to pale in surprise.

Aoi dashed her way to him and swiftly lifted both sides of his collar up, covering his chest. As she buttoned up his shirt as her face blushed and her breathing ragged, she lectured, "Why the heck are you acting like this? Try behaving a little at least!"

He exhaled in arrogance. "Why do you care so much about the school rules? It's not as if they school is your family's property anyway."

"I don't," she answered in staccato. From her bag, she reached out a scarf and wrapped it around Inosuke's neck. "I just don't want you to get cold."