Chapter 3: The Mansion

"Mrs. Parestine, are you alright?" Lucy spoke softly, placing a hand on the poor woman's shoulder.

"A-ah, yes... yes, of course. I apologize for that." Ellice answered, her voice cracking at every word. She dabbed at her eyes with the corner of her handkerchief. "I didn't realize I was crying. I'm sorry."

"No, please don't apologize." Erza said comfortingly. "There's nothing wrong with shedding a few tears once in a while. It means that we really do care for something that we truly hold dear."

"I guess you are right." Their hostess sighed, partially composing herself and momentarily relieving most of the five-year-old pain that weighed her down.

For a few more moments, the mages watched her weep silently, pondering on the twisted story behind her warm smile and kind eyes. At some point they wondered, how many times did she have to relive those bitter memories? How often did she have to tell that story to every single wizard that came to her, promising a successful return, only to come back empty-handed? How many times, they wondered, had she hoped of seeing her daughter again, only to have it crushed along with the jar of tears that dwelled her heart?

Natsu's fist collided with the wooden coffee table, causing each and every delicate utensil to clatter in unison. Luckily, the table itself was sturdy enough to hold against the jarring impact.

"I feel sorry for Avellon." He spoke in a deadly calm voice. "He could've had the family that he dreamed of when he had the chance, but he heartlessly threw it away."

The woman stared at the pink-haired boy, emerald eyes unblinking and mouth half open in astonishment. Never, not even once in those three years that have passed ever since she sent the request, had she heard those words escape from a mage's mouth. She couldn't have said it any better herself.

"Mrs. Parestine," Gray started. "After we get Avellice back from him, what would you like us to do with your husband?"

Ellice's gaze hardened with pure anger and revolt, lips forming a straight line as she uttered her answer without a single shade of regret nor hesitancy, "Kill him, torture him, do whatever you want. He is not my husband anymore, and I've long since stopped caring about anything that has something to do with him."

¤ ~ ¤

"Are you sure you don't want to stay for the night? I wouldn't mind, and you must be tired." Their hostess asked, slightly worried just as they were about to leave.

"No, it's okay, really. We'll just sleep on the way there." Lucy answered, descending the steps on the front porch.

It was twilight. The sky turned from brightest shade of blue to the deepest hue of red in the remaining rays of the sunset, allowing the first few stars to reveal itself from beneath the blanket of dense, dark clouds.

"We'll get going now, it's going to rain any minute." Erza said, walking towards the fence in a haste to get to Valencia as soon as possible.

"In that case, allow me to give you this." Ellice reached behind her neck, carefully removing an ornate silver key embedded with diamonds that hung from a thin chained necklace. "It may not be of much use, but that is a copy of the key to open the machine in Jared's laboratory. What is it used for, I have no idea. I was probably too afraid to find out."

"We'll take good care of it." The redhead replied, curling her fingers around the jewelry and placing it securely inside a pocket.

"We'll be back as soon as possible, Mrs. Parestine, please don't worry. And we'll definitely do everything in our power to bring your daughter back to you." Gray assured her.

Ace of HeartsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara