sgetober day seven: snow ball

have some reatrix for the soul

------------

"If Tedros doesn't end up asking you, will consider me?" Reena asks her one night, as they're getting ready for bed. Beatrix promptly fumbles and drops her lotion into the pearl sink. And then hits pause.

Two girls can't go to the Snow Ball together, right? If they could, Beatrix would know. And Tedros is going to ask her, alright. He is. He has to. Betarix didn't send that damned letter to mother for no reason.

Oh well. Another broken heart means..nothing. But... will Reena not want to be her friend after? Is it possible to be friends with someone who's heart you've broken?

Losing Reena as a friend would be a significant loss. Even to someone like Beatrix, who's had as many friends and lost as many friends as she's had days and lost those. Reena is everything you'd want in a friend. She's pretty, she's much nicer than Beatrix, she's hilarious in a witty, dry way, and she's fun to talk with. She's not like the girls from the village, she's not living up to a standard, she's full of life, vibrant and bright.

It's at this moment, Beatrix truly does not like herself. She could count the times she's liked herself on one hand lately, but she wants to just shrivel up for even thinking that. How could she? Is she considering trading in a night with Tedros, (who'd probably goggle at himself in every passing surface like an ape and step on her feet), over a night with her best friend?

No, mother is not here, and she doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to.

She hits play.

"In case he really does ask Agatha? I don't want to go with anyone else." Reena admits at Beatrix's hesitation.

Beatrix can imagine them in pretty gowns and matching lipstick, ditching their dates to dance with each other, no one else in the room but them. She smiles. "I'd be honored to go with you Reena. We can leave our dates and make a night out of it."

Reena's smile back to her sets the stone. Beatrix aims for her now, no one and nothing else.