Doorstep ~ Severitus

- When Harry is six years old - 24th of July, 1987

~Severitus
—————

Harry ran, he had tears that spilt down his face like a river escaping a dam. He could only think about what he had just done. His teacher, Mr Jenkins had yet again scolding him for arriving late to school and not having done his homework and he was so angry at his teacher, that Mr Jenkins hair turned blue!

Dudley and his gang had beat him black and blue and ripped up his homework earlier in the day, but no one seemed to care. No one ever did, but Harry was fine with it. How can you know when someone cares when no one has ever cared before? You can't. That's the only answer.

Harry was still running, not really looking where he was going. He didn't want to go back to the Dursley's, they were mean to him. The fat, salty tears were still falling down the small child's face. Harry really did look a state, Wearing clothes that were four times his size, they were torn and dirty in places from Dudley and his gang.

Harry for once looked up at where he exactly was, he didn't recognise the ground he was running on. Harry knew most of the ground, he knew because he was always getting chased, again by Dudley and his gang.

Harry could barely see where he was though his watery eyes, but he wasn't somewhere he recognised. Suddenly, Harry felt scared, he didn't know where he was. He wiped his eyes quickly, wanting to identify where he was. Harry looked around with clearer eyes but still couldn't recall this place from anywhere he had ever been before. Taking a breath he took in his surroundings; old brick, Victorian looking houses stood attached to each other, most however, looked abandoned.

Harry shivered a bit as he felt the cold nip at his bare skin through the rips in his t-shirt and knees of his trousers, he looked back in the direction he thought he had came from, but he could only see more houses. The rain had also started now and he was starting to get wet. Harry, although scared plucked up the courage he had and knocked on a couple of door. No one answered. After Harry had tried knocking on different house doors and no one answered he gave up hope. seeing the doorstep closest to him he curled up on it, hoping to get a bit of sleep before the cold, wet night set in.

---------

Severus Snape was a man of many names, an ex-death eater to some, a traitor, a spy and a potions professor. You name it he probably could relate to it, well except a father. Though who would ever want to marry, never mind have a child with him. Severus Snape was a cold man, not very open, secretive if you will, but that comes with the grounds of being a double agent.

Severus was about to go out to a local bar that was near his house, but as he went to step out he felt something as he went to put a foot out on his doorstep. Severus looked down at the boy who looked no more than four years old. something struck inside of him, something that reminded him of himself. He looked at the rain that was lashing down on to the boy who lay by his feet. 'Why my doorstep?' he thought, before sighing. He couldn't leave the child there, he would die of hypothermia. Careful he picked up the boy, who didn't even feel like he weigh anything past thirteen kilos. That in itself didn't surprise him either, if the boy was homeless like he thought then he would understand why.

He lay the boy down on the spare bed in the spare room, the one that had belonged to him when he was a child. Quickly making sure the child was still asleep he took out his wand casting a couple simple diagnostic charms on the boy. It had became clear with the first diagnostic charm that this boy had been through the wars already in his life, broken wrists, ankle, collar bone which had all healed incorrectly. He was suffering from hypothermia, and was starting to burn a fever. Sighing, Severus realised that he would have to help the boy so he left and got a pair of his clothes that he had shrunk to fit the child, when changing the boy he noticed the peculiar scar that stood out on his forehead. Shaking his head he focused back on the task. After using a bunch of potions, which he had to massage down the young child's throat. Sighing at the work he had completed, he hadn't touched the bones yet but that would have to wait for another day. he didn't want the potions to mix too much, making them not effective.

Leaving the room, he walked downstairs and prepared some food, not bothering making anything for the boy as I knew he would be out for a couple hours yet.

--------

When Harry woke up the next morning, he was startled to find himself in a bed. Panicking, he shot out of the safety of the comfortable bed sheets, running downstairs. Severus, who was already up heard the clambering of the young boy, setting himself at the bottom of the stairs.

Harry, when sprinting down the stairs, ran into something. That 'something' caught the boy, who started having a panic attack, Harry started swinging and frailing his hands and Severus, wanting to get free.

Severus, sighed, he needed to put on a caring voice for the young child.

"Hey, little guy, what's wrong?" Sev asked Harry gently, who once hearing the voice stopped frailing around. Harry opened his eyes and looked into the man's dark oynx eyes.

"I sorry... didn' mean t' anoy' you" Harry mumbled quietly, looking away from the man.

Severus looked un-expectantly at the child's apology, "It's okay, little one. Will you tell me why you were on my doorstep last night?"

Severus watched as the young boy's eyes glazed over, as if he was thinking about something, so he tried again. "Will you tell me your name?"

Harry nodded before talking, "Hawwy"

Severus stopped. No this couldn't be Lily's boy. Severus cleared his throat, "Do you know your last name, Harry?"

There was a pause before Harry shook his head, Severus sighed. "Okay, well I am going to do something that may seem a bit weird to you, okay?"

Harry nodded his head and kept his eyes intent of watching Severus' every move. Harry was even more confused when Severus pulled a... Stick out of his pocket. Harry felt a bit of fear launch through him as Severus pointed it at him, he seen a green light, then felt pain.

Harry cried out at the memory that washed over him and clouded his vision over. Severus pulled his wand away and stuck it in his pocket again and came over to see why Harry was crying. Severus tried comforting the boy, but that didn't work. Severus sighed and looked through the boy's eyes, he caught the tail end of the memory. A green light. To elaborate 'killing curse' green.

'Well this answers my question of his last name.' Severus thought to himself. A pang of guilt flowed through his body. One he hadn't felt for six years... Lily wanted him to take care of her boy, and that is what he will do.

~1264