𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 : 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞

Start from the beginning

How would you put that into words? To admit an emotion that felt overwhelming yet exhilarating. How do you tell Magnolia Grace, the dancer with the spunk and attitude that complimented his own, that he felt something unplatonic between them.

He felt something beyond friendly between their lingering touches and longing gazes, catching each other's eyes over anybody else's. That he could right her sonnets, poems and endless songs about her smile alone.

He wondered if she felt it, too. If she stared at him the way he looked at her, or that she felt that abnormal rhythm in her chest as he intertwined their fingers, holding each other closer than he would with anybody else.

Luke Patterson knew that Magnolia Grace wasn't just his friend, rather someone that meant the absolute world to him.

Luke Patterson had been waiting for Magnolia for the past fifteen minutes, sitting on the sidewalk for the Japanese girl to pop up somewhere so he could walk her inside. Julie and Flynn had left the four ghosts alone for the night, tucking themselves away into the Molina house for whatever plans they had for the following day, the Molina girl throwing him a wink after hearing he was looking for the spirit.

He picked at a dandelion that blossomed through the cracks of the pavement, pulling it out of the ground and plainly stared at the puffball as he bounced his leg, every now-and-then looking up in hopes to find her.

Alex had tracked down Luke after he had attempted looking for Magnolia, convincing him to play some basketball with him and Reggie while they waited for her. The brunet begrudgingly agreed, letting the drummer drag him away from the side of the road and back into the driveway, the bassist holding a hand-sized basketball in his hands. He waved happily at the pair before challenging them to a game of 1v1v1, hoping Magnolia would come back to have an even team.

The brunet was quite competitive in games like this one, not really into board games like Reggie and Maggie were into, but still willing to try. He didn't understand the strategies or complexities to board games, rather into games and bets that brightened his spirit. Like, who could run across the street the fastest, or who could go the longest without sleep.

It alarmed Alex, himself and Bobby how fast Reggie could down a can of Red Bull and recite the summary of Hamlet by heart. It also scared them how the Peters boy could recite the entire Home Alone script without missing a beat, his sleep-deprived self made him quite cranky, so they ended the bet before they could go a fourth night.

The night was young, the moon hanging above their heads as it rained its heavenly light on the three ghosts down on Earth, their free spirits rioting the Molina driveway as hollars of victories escaped their mouths, a sound of a thud coming from Carlos' basketball hoop. The space was cleared the moment people began to leave, Carlos and Ray Molina cleaning up the mess of paper decorations, saving their video footage and pushing Mrs. Molina's piano back into the studio.

They wanted to celebrate, something more extravagant than throwing a small ass basketball into a kiddy hoop that hung a foot above them. Their performance tonight felt electrifying, as if the planets were aligned the moment they sang together as a band. It didn't feel right to use that word, especially when the overbearing feeling of being struck by lightning coursed through the deceased members of Sunset Curve's bodies, an electric hammer being slammed into their ribs.

The three fell to the ground with a groan, clutching their stomachs tightly at the excruciating pain that seemed to worsen over time. They couldn't move from their bodies, their muscles tightening underneath their clothes as they gasped for air.