Comfort

Lily was minding her own business with her nose in yet another bird information book. She was in the living room thumbing through it as she enjoyed the contents. She didn't look up from her book as Mathew walked in.

He went to the window where there was a clear view of the backyard. It was a colorful backyard with many sunflowers grown by Lily's father. There were four trees surrounding a destroyed tree.

Mathew closed the blinds. It was now really dark.

Lily looked up from her book and frown. "Um, Mat. I'm reading." She noticed that he was wearing headphones that covered his ears. It was one of those noise cancelling ones.

Was something wrong?

She knew that Mathew's power was super strength. Everything was strong about him, including sight, hearing and other things she couldn't think of.

He went to Lily and squeeze beside her. He placed his knees to his chest and seemed relieved.

Oh. This was one of those things he talked about before. She forgot the name of it. When he used his power too much, he tend to have side effects.

His senses must hurt.

He whispered, "Sorry, but I prefer to be with you right now."

"That's okay." She put her book down on her lap closed. "What are you feeling right now?" She was curious but cautious.

He replied, "Too many colors. I can hear your blood."

"My blood?"

"Yeah," he whispered. "I can hear it coursing through your veins. I can also hear your heartbeat." He sighed. "That was the only thing keeping me going when we were in captivity."

She was flattered, but she felt something in her stomach feel uncomfortable when he mentioned that time in their lives. For so long they were hidden, but it was more horrifying for Mathew.

Lily whispered, "Are you okay?"

He replied, "I will be." He closed his eyes and sighed.

She could feel his body relax against hers. She decided to relax as well since he was.

Mathew's arms wrapped around her waist comfortably.

Lily gasped as quietly as she could. She was used to affection such as hugs and whatnot, so this wasn't out of the normal. They hugged and held hands when they were young kids. It was the length of time he continued to hold her in such close proximity. They weren't kids anymore was what her mother told her.

Mathew didn't seem phased at all as her heartbeat sped up.

Lily knew that he could hear her heartbeat. She just wondered why he hasn't said anything about it after five minutes and thirty-four seconds.

Thirty-five

Thirty-six

...

Mathew removed one of his arms and used that hand to take off his headphones. He gently sat them to the side. Then he leaned forward and placed his ear to her chest.

Lily tensed. She had no idea what was going on. She could feel her face grow warm as she felt his hair tickle her chin. She felt like she was running a marathon. No it felt like she was running for her life.

What was this?

What's going on?

Why was her breathing so ragged?

Why was Mathew's arm that rested on her lap burning?

"Lily?"

Her eyes darted to Mathew's, who was staring back at her in the dark. She could barely see, but she knew he could.

"You're flustered," he observed. "Are you okay?"

"Um..." She said. "I don't know." She tried to find the words to explain what was going on, but she, herself, didn't know what was going on.

Mathew took a good look at his position and had a look of recognition. He sat up and unravelled from her. He said guiltily, "Sorry. I got a little too comfortable."

"Um," she replied. "But I was okay with it. I just don't get why my reaction was like this. I mean-." She stopped abruptly unable to find the right words.

Mathew's face grew red. "Um, well, sometimes... when a man and a woman likes each other very much-."

"Wh-what does the birds and the bees have to do with this?" Lily said even more flustered than before.

"Well..." Mathew didn't want to continue.

As they stared at each other, with each second, tension and embarrassment grew.

Lily broke contact first and lifted her book to her face. 

"You, Lily, are embarrassed?"

"Shut up!" she snapped. "You are embarrassed too!" She quickly covered her mouth and whispered, "I'm sorry. Your senses hurt thing."

He reassured, "It has passed, thanks to you."

She exhaled in relief.

Then he said, "So like... you actually like-like me?"

She scoffed as she could still feel how warm her face was, "What's with all the childish 'like-like'? Mathew, I love you."

Matthew's jaw fell open. Then he shook his head. "Hold up. You can just say you love me, but you get all fluster when it comes to cuddling?"

She pouted "You were the one who put your head on my chest. It's like touching a macaw on its tail." She averted her eyes.

"That's fair," he said. "Sorry."

"It's okay," she said. "Just warn me next time. You know I don't recognize stuff like that." She placed her book on her lap and opened it where she left off. "Okay?"

"Okay."

Mathew grabbed a nearby remote and turned on the television.

Eventually, they were back to their calm selves. It wasn't hard for them to be comfortable together, but they do have their moments.

And thus, there was peace in between them again.