The Desirous Stone

Walking down the street the night before Christmas Eve, Alexa dropped her wallet as she rummaged through her purse, desperate for her chapstick. The man that would save Dana seemed to materialize out of thin air.

"Be careful, young lady. You never know who's watching." His voice was raspy and he spoke in a slow slur. He retrieved her wallet and handed it to her.

A quick look showed her a disheveled looking man; ripped layers of well-worn clothing, stiff and holey shoes, unkempt hair to match the scraggly beard that trailed down his chest.

"Uh...thanks." She grabbed the wallet from him and averted her eyes, knowing that she would stare at his fake eye otherwise.

"Have you ever heard of the Desirous Stone?" His voice had a wondrous tone which, for some inexplicable reason, made her stop mid-turn to face him.

"The what?" 

"It grants the holder any one wish. Love, money, health. Another chance with a lost loved one." His eye sparkled as he explained the power of the stone. "Its name speaks the truth. Your most precious desire could come true."

Any person would have thought he was a con-man, trying to make a quick buck. But Alexa felt the truth in his words. She saw it in his eye.

"The catch?"

"Accept the gift." He shrugged his shoulders as he reached into an oversized pocket of his trench coat. "And then pass it on within one day of making your wish."

"If I don't?" Alexa challenged.

"You end the magic. The stone becomes worthless." His solemn expression told her he believed what he said.

"Am I the person you've chosen to pass the stone to?" Alexa pointed a finger toward her chest.

"Yes."

"Why me?"

"Seems like it could be the answer you've been looking for." He gave her a warm smile, but that didn't keep her from releasing a sharp gasp. 

There was no way he could know that she needed some way to help Maggie and Kevin.

"Uh…" Before she could form any words, the man grabbed her hand and turned it palm up. He placed the stone in the middle with precision, as if it had been done wrong, it would be ruined.

"Best of luck to you. And Merry Christmas, Alexa." He winked at her before turning away and disappearing down the alleyway. 

It took Alexa several moments to shake out of her shock. She crossed the distance to peer down the alleyway, only seeing scattered trash in the dim light.

Now, Christmas Eve and she looked at the stone, gleaming in the firelight. She hadn't made her wish yet, sure it wouldn't work. But she was almost out of time.

"Dana isn't responsive." Her neighbor slammed through her door, cradling her seven-year-old daughter in her arms.

"Maggie. Calm down. Where is Kevin?" Alexa's heart beat a rapid cadence against her chest.

"He got called in. Please!"

Without thinking, Alexa turned her back on the young mother and grabbed the Desirous Stone. "Please work." 

She clamped her hand over the stone, wrapping her other hand over her white knuckles. Holding her clenched fists to her chest, she closed her eyes and wished for the disease in the little girl's body to be gone.

A true miracle, Maggie gasped in shock as her daughter coughed several times before her eyelids fluttered open. "Mama."

Maggie was too shocked to say anything. She held Dana close to her and kissed her head.

"I need to give you something." Alexa wiped her tears away as she stepped closer to Maggie.

She stared at Alexa in confusion but listened to what was explained to her. She nodded before turning away to go home.

Christmas Day, and every day after, Maggie and Kevin were able to enjoy their lives with their daughter all because of Alexa's wish. Maggie had followed the instructions given and the Desirous Stone didn't lose the magic in it.

  °~•~°~•~°~•~°~•~°~•~°~•~°~•~°~•~°~•~°

TheChristmasCandies

  °~•~°~•~°~•~°~•~°~•~°~•~°~•~°~•~°~•~°

Banner created using photo found at
https://www.google.com/search?q=moonstone&prmd=isbvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiz04j2mtDsAhVRS6wKHSrBCFIQ_AUoAXoECBEQAg&biw=360&bih=612#imgrc=Pc_uaCqLiANwLM