Chapter Nine | Noir

Start from the beginning

A sense of peace went through her, and the mumbling stopped, her body stilling. James ordered one of the stable hands to go fetch the kitten and bring it back the manor.

She looked so small in his arms. His mother's gown, which was too large on her petite frame hid most of her body. He couldn't see her injury, but he was sure that Noir had harmed her somehow. What didn't make sense was her presence in the stables anyways. Her golden curls brushed softly against his forearm, and he tried ignoring the softness of them.

Martin swung the door opened, and his butler—who remained compose in almost all scenarios looked surprised.

"A physician should be coming soon. Tell Mrs. Shrine to meet me in Lady Vivienne's room."

His butler bowed low. "Very Well, Your Grace."

He walked up the stairs and kicked upon the door to Vivienne's room with his leg. He sat her down on the bed gently, making sure not to harm her any further. Her face was scrunched up, and James knew she was in pain. He couldn't do anything about it—and it frustrated him to no end. As a duke, he had the power and responsibility of ensuring the safety of everyone under his roof. However, this was the second time Vivienne had been injured under his watch. Before he knew what he was doing, he pushed one of the golden locks away from her face, yet she didn't stir.

"Your Grace?" James immediately dropped his hand and turned back to the doorway to see his housekeeper standing there.

Her eyes went to the bed, and she covered her mouth as a gasp escaped. "What happened to her?"

James looked at Vivienne's petite body in the bed, "She was knocked out cold in the stables."

"How is this possible? Lady Vivienne never ventures outside!"

James let out a small humph. There was always someone responsible when it came to incidents like this. "Believe me, I'm going to get to the bottom of it." he vowed, and he would—after ensuring that she safe once more. "I don't know where her injuries lie, and it didn't seem appropriate to undress her."

His housekeeper nodded and she called for Chrissy. A mousy maid came in a few minutes later.

"Grab the scissors," Mrs. Shrine instructed. "We are going to cut her dress to see where she has been hurt."

The maid did as she was told, and James took a step back. His housekeeper turned to look at him, "It might be better to wait in the hall, Your Grace."

James shot her a look to indicate that no way in hell was he moving from his place. "I've seen plenty of bare skin before."

The maid and Mrs. Shrine both blushed at his statement but they didn't say anything after. He watched as they cut the rosy coloured dress down the middle. She was wearing a white coloured chemise underneath and that's when James turned his head. It didn't seem appropriate to be gazing upon an undressed lady without her permission. Thankfully, there was another interruption at the door and instead of letting one of the women open it, he did it himself.

"Mr. Ballard." 

The physician who had treated Vivienne the first time she'd stumbled into Chalcott manor bowed, "Your Grace, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance once again."

James raised an eyebrow, "One would say Ballard it's never a pleasant scenario when having to call you."

The physician's lips twitched slightly, indicating he understood the jest. He gestured towards the room, "may I?"

James nodded and stepped aside. He could hear Mrs. Shrine explaining the situation but before he could shut the door, he spied a servant walking up the stairs. Quickly stepping outside and shutting the door behind him, he waited as Martin stood holding an orange-coloured kitten by the scruff. His butler looked less than pleased as there were a few slashes in his usually pristine livery.