Chapter Two

Aislinn never was good with people. At least, not humans. She’d stutter, trip over things one normally couldn’t trip over. Once she had to make an entrance in Teldrassil for all inhabitants, and she fell down fourteen stairs. That’s why she wasn’t very eager to bring the people in the living room their tea. Mari-Louise called her and asked where the tea was. She replied and she felt anxious as she stood in the living room. It started when she almost stumbled over the rug. The cups almost fell off the tray but she recovered quickly. Her face became red and she waited before she entered the other living room which was parted by silk curtains. She took a deep breath and entered the dining room. Mari-Louise and Mariëtte were seated against the wall. Aislinn could see how Mariëtte looked like, but she couldn’t see Jay’s face. He was seated with his back towards her. from what she saw, he probably would be around twenty-five. Mariëtte had a bright hair color, even brighter than Mari-Louise’s. She had a sweet face with blue eyes. Aislinn guessed she was around her forties. Mariëtte smiled kindly at her and greeted her. She then glanced at Jay, but he didn’t say anything. Walking towards the table, she glanced quickly at the piano. A longing crept up to play it, but she resisted. Aislinn quickly placed the teapot, cups and cookies on the table. Standing next to him, she felt strange and nervous. Since her return, she hasn’t been amongst many people anymore, but this felt different.  She even felt a bit annoyed by him. Was it that hard to say hello to someone? But then again, he’d probably be another arrogant ass.

Mari-Louise looked patronizing at Aislinn, hinting her to leave the room. “Ash is my maid. You pronounce it as Ashley.” She said. More like Ai-linn, Aislinn thought.  She stood straight and was just about to leave the room as Mariëtte asked her something. “Do you play, Ash?” she asked politely, nodding at the piano. “I know a few compositions, Ma’am.” She looked down. “Would you mind playing us something?” she asked. No, I would NOT, MA’AM, she thought. “Sure, Ma’am.” She said. I’m so weak! She turned and slowly walked to the piano. It has been years since she last played but she was sure she still could play nicely. She sat down, her back facing the guests, and opened the lid. She heard Jay move in his chair as he was probably facing her now. The keys were  cold to her touch as she began playing. As she’d thought already, it went good. It was a composition she sometimes played while she was in Teldrassil. Her fingers glided on the keys and it sounded like they were holding their breath. As the song came to an end and Aislinn closed the lid.

She stood up and pushed the chair under the piano. She turned around and looked at Mari-Louise. Her eyes looked angry but she controlled herself. In the corners of her eyes she saw Jay looking at her. She looked at the ground and felt her face become red.

“That was very beautiful, my child. Did you learn it yourself?” –“Yes Ma’am.” Aislinn replied, still looking down. “Don’t you agree with me, Jay?” Mariëtte said. She looked at Jay with a smile, Aislinn saw. Aislinn moved towards the table but stood still as her eyes finally crossed his.

Aislinn knew his eyes the second she faced them. Her mind was being pulled back years ago. She knew him, and he knew her. His face became pale and his mouth opened. He looked like he just saw a ghost. Jay was probably a nickname for James. Aislinn gasped and turned to run out of the room. He grabbed her arm but she shook him off and ran to the stairs. In a matter of seconds she was upstairs and looking wildly where to go. She glanced at the bathroom, but she didn’t want to be there. Just before she even knew what she was doing, she was outside. She was on a small gallery and it was raining. She sat down against the wall a few meters beside the door. Downstairs she heard loud noise. “What are you doing?” Mariëtte called. “Do you know Aislinn? From where?” Mari-Louise asked. “Where is she?” Jay asked. –“Probably upstairs, the silly child.” Mari-Louise replied. Aislinn heard her say something more but Jay was already moving upstairs. He checked every room but couldn’t find her. She heard a loud sigh and then he saw the window Aislinn climbed through. Aislinn closed her eyes as she heard him breathing heavily beside him.