14: I'm Kind of Jealous

Percy's POV:

The entire morning passed by in a flash. I was helping with training and trying to push everyone to do their best. I especially liked Andrew's tactics; the sneaking around and surprise attacks he used were pretty useful. After a lunch break of bread and cheese, a courtier came up to me to pass some news.

"Your Highness, Princess Calypso is here." He said. I nodded. "Thank you." He and some guards followed me as I went ahead and up to the front foyer, where some of their guards and teams, and the royals stood.

Princess Calypso looked like a literal goddess. She had light brown, silky caramel hair that cascaded down her back like ocean waves. She had pretty brown almond shaped eyes, and a timeless face. She was beautiful. Her father, King Atlas, stood behind her. He was the leader of the county Ouranos, the county against ours.

I bowed to the King, and then to Princess Calypso. I really hated doing this, but she seemed to be expecting it, since she held out her hand. Honestly, I was about to shake it, but then I remembered my manners and kissed it. It wasn't that bad, but I was not a huge fan of it.

"Your Majesty," I said to Atlas, who smiled. He actually seemed like a relaxed man, unlike my dad, Poseidon, who was definitely not relaxed. He was...rigid. Mom did say he used to be relaxed, but something happened that turned him into who he was now.

"Hello, Perseus. It's nice to meet you. Your Father already came to us, to greet us." Atlas grinned, an easy grin. Even though he was technically the enemy, I smiled back. "Hello. It's nice to meet you. Princess, may I show you around, since you are planning to stay here?" I asked, turning to Calypso. "Of course, you can." Calypso said. She took my arm, and I stiffened at the touch, then forced myself to relax. If we were gonna be married, I had to get used to this.

I left the room, Calypso next to me. I led her around the castle, guards following us. I could see Poseidon come in from the other room, and start talking to King Atlas. I showed her around every single room, except for mine. I wasn't too comfortable with that just yet. Over time, we got to know each other. I liked her, and she seemed like a great friend, except definitely not a significant other. She was too...traditional. Definitely not my type.

We were talking, and I made a joke. Calypso kind of laughed, and I laughed too. Just then, I saw a familiar head of curly blonde hair. I knew it was Andrew, and he saw me. He was smiling, but he looked next to me, at the princess, and...I don't know. I'm not good at reading people, but he quickly left. I tried to look for him, but I couldn't, without Calypso getting suspicious. I had a sinking feeling in my gut. I was afraid that I had just lost my best, and only friend.

To be honest, I felt worse than I probably should have, for a best friend.

Annabeth's life was going perfectly great. Things were awesome, that morning. Percy helped their group with fighting tactics, and gave them all plenty of ideas. Annabeth got a lot of fighting tips from him, and FINALLY understood his moves, which she was trying to decipher for a long time.

Then it was lunch. But then? Afterwards? Percy kind of left. Annabeth was just chilling for the afternoon, taking a well deserved break before the battle. She was just about to go ask Percy what he was doing when - BAM! - he was laughing with another girl. And he saw her, Annabeth knew that. He saw her, and she knew he was about to wave, but she quickly ran off, panting when she finally reached her room. How? Percy was with a girl. And she didn't even know. This feeling crossed out all the doubts Annabeth had.

She had a crush. On the crown prince. Percy Jackson.

And he was with another girl.

She was really beautiful, Annabeth could tell. She tried to comfort herself with thoughts. Percy didn't know who she was. And he was his own person. He could love whoever he chose to love. Annabeth didn't control him. She wasn't a controlling monster, like how some men were to women. But she couldn't shake the feeling of jealousy she had as she laid down in her bed and drifted off into an uneasy sleep.

"Andrew, get uuuuuup!"

"Go away, Mom." Annabeth groaned.

"BRO! WE NEED TO HAVE FUN! TOMORROW'S THE FIGHT!" Leo said.

Annabeth sat up to find Leo jumping on her bed. Jason glanced sheepishly at Annabeth, while Frank was nowhere to be seen. Probably with Hazel.

"Leo?" Annabeth said groggily. "Yeah?" Leo said earnestly. "Stop." Annabeth said. Leo groaned. "Fine." He sat on the corner on the bed, still slightly jumping. "I do think you're right, though." Annabeth added. "We do need to go have some fun."

That entire afternoon, all of the knights played. Jason, Leo, Frank, and Annabeth got all of the other knights to come and play with them. They played Capture the Flag, had practice battles, and had a big paintball tournament. This was the most fun Annabeth had ever had in her life. She should've known that something bad was going to happen pretty soon. Starting now, actually. As Annabeth was laughing with her friends, putting their things back as it got dark, she saw Percy and Calypso sitting outside, talking. Percy's entire face lightened up when he saw her. He opened his mouth, but Annabeth silenced him with a dirty look and followed Frank to put their supplies away.

That night, during dinner, Annabeth didn't glance at Percy once. She didn't stay up reading, either, since they had to wake up and expend a lot of energy very early tomorrow. She didn't even think of Percy once as she went to bed. But that night, as she drifted off to sleep, she couldn't deny that she saw a pair of sparkly, sarcastic sea green eyes before she saw darkness.