"My parents are here," Isaac said. "That's got to be them."

Lexi's confused faded as fast as her smile had. She sat up and raked her hands through her hair.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine," Lexi remarked. "I should at least introduce myself to them."

Isaac helped her off the bed, and the pair quickly headed for the door.

"I'm right here," he muttered before answering.

Lexi's smile was more genuine than she'd anticipated as she saw Isaac's parents in the flesh for the first time. Their smiles disappeared upon seeing Lexi, with Isaac's mother even going so far as to look her up and down. Despite this, Lexi didn't lose her cheery demeanour.

Everything's going to be okay, she thought.

"Hi Mom, hi Dad!" Isaac greeted.

"Hello, Isaac," his father said.

"Why is Lexi here?" his mother piped up.

"My roommate moved out of our apartment yesterday, and my parents don't get into town until tomorrow. So, we were just chatting about next year, and whatnot" Lexi explained. She could hear her voice shake ever so slightly as she spoke.

"I see," Isaac's mother replied dryly. "Nice to meet you. I'm Lana, and this is my husband, James."

Isaac ushered his parents inside, where Lexi shook both of their hands. Each handshake felt hard and stiff, but she still didn't give an inch.

"Would you like some help with packing everything up?" she suddenly offered. "I mean...if you don't, that's fine. I'll just be on my way then."

"I think we could use all the help we can get," Isaac said. He gave his parents a calm look. "Don't you agree?"

"Sure," his father replied.

His mother gawked at the suggestion but seemed to decide against fighting the idea. "Fine."

It was soon decided that Isaac and his father would tackle his room and the bathroom while Lexi and Isaac's mother focused their efforts on the living room and kitchen. They worked through the first room quickly, as not a whole lot of Isaac's belongings were there. They soon began packing up everything that was inside the latter room.

Having not said anything since the packing had begun, Lexi decided to take a chance and break the ice. "It's so nice to meet you in-person."

Isaac's mother looked up as she continued wrapping up some glassware in paper towels. "Same to you, Lexi. So, tell me...what brought you to NYU?"

"The Literature and Creative Writing program, to be honest. It's much better than anything offered in San Diego, or anywhere else in California."

"You really want to be an author, huh?"

"Absolutely. It's been my dream since I was a kid. I've worked really hard to try and make it a reality since high school. It's not something I can achieve overnight, or even in a year or two— it's going to take a lot of time and effort. But I've known that from the start, and I'm more than happy to put in the necessary work."

The mini monologue left Isaac's mother shocked; and yet, she still seemed unimpressed. "At least you get it."

"I do," Lexi said, "and I've told my parents the same thing. My Dad's a surgeon and my Mom's a prosecutor, so I felt super pressured to pursue something like that. But it didn't appeal to me. I mean, I obviously respect those that want such a career— and I respect my parents a lot, too. I just know that I'm meant to be an author. I don't want to do something I hate; I want to do what I love, no matter the risk."