Welcome Back, My Husband

This chapter contains spoilers for chapter 153 and 156

Prepare your tissues

"Hakuji-san, stop already."

They came inside the room to see a frail girl, a girl who reminded Hakuji of his deceased father. "My daughter Koyuki" Keizo smiled. "Hey, you look better than in the morning, are you feeling any better now?" He asked the girl. Hakuji still gazed upon her frail figure. "This guy isn't telling me his name, so yeah. Get him to spill it before I get back." "yeah..."

Keizo left the room and closed the door. The kids stared at each other. Koyuki noticed Hakuji's beaten face. "Uh... your face... is hurt... are you okay?"

At first, he was aggressive towards her. Forced her outside of her room. She had an asthma attack and was escorted back inside. 'She's incapable of coming outside... she really is sick, like father...'

A few days has passed, Hakuji has been taking care of Koyuki and practicing martial arts with Keizo. "Come in." Her voice cracked, the boy came inside her room and started his daily chores of changing her cloth, feeding her, changing the cloth again, and talked to her.

"Hakuji-san, how is your training?"

"Oh, it's going fine... here." He placed the wet cloth on her forehead. She felt the cool water warmed her head but she also felt the warm from Hakuji's presence. "Are you going to be fine taking care of me?" She asked him hesitantly, Hakuji was shocked. 'Why'd she asked me? She's sick, I don't want anyone to die from illness in front of my eyes anymore...' he thought his answers for a few moments and said "no, I'm fine with it and it's my responsibility to take care of you until you heal!" He stated.

Koyuki looked at him with her pink eyes and tears started to form from the corners of her eyes. She sobbed at his touching words.

The annual fireworks festival has come. Hakuji wanted to see them but that leant he leaves Koyuki alone, with no one to take care of her. He decided prioritize her illness instead.

"I'm sorry for everything"

"It's my fault that you can't train or go out to play."

Hakuji wondered why were sick people would apologized for their illnesses, even though they were the one suffering.

"I never thought about playing around, ever since before"

"When I was free, I just trained, so don't worry about that."

Koyuki still felt pity for Hakuji. She stills wanted him to have a normal human life like other kids.

"But... sometimes a change of pace is... there's going to be fireworks tonight, so just go..."

"Maybe, once your dizziness goes away, I'll carry you to the bridge so we can watch." "Eh?"

"Even if we can't go for this year, there's next year or the year after. We can just go then." Koyuki was touched by his words and started to cry, a habit that he took notice.

Three years has passed, Hakuji turned eighteen and Koyuki turned sixteen. The ill girl has stopped lying down all the time. She was able to live a life normally. Hakuji relived that she started heal.

One day, the young boy was cleaning the dojo floor. He was focusing on his task until Keizo called out to him for an announcement. Hakuji put his task away and followed his master to a room with Koyuki in it and sat down.

"Can you take over my dojo, Hakuji? And you can have Koyuki as well."

The words felt genuine. It was real, he wasn't dreaming. Hakuji glanced over Koyuki flushing pink. He never thought that someone who was marked as a criminal by society would have a bright future. He was happy. He always dreamed that the day would come for him.

The annual fireworks festival has came back for the year and as Hakuji promised, he took Koyuki to the fireworks. "Are you really okay with me?" Hakuji was confused, what does she meant?

"Do you remember talking about seeing the fireworks when were kids?"

"Eh... no... uhh"

"It was a small conversation between you and me, Hakuji-san. But I was very happy about it."

"Even if we can't go to go for this year, there's next year... or the year after. That's what you said." Koyuki remembered everything that has happened to her in the past before she met the boy.

"It's just... I could never actually imagine a future where I could see next year or the year after. My mother thought the same... she didn't want to see me die. So she killed herself. I understood that somewhere in his heart, my dad already given up. I was too weak. But you saw my future, Hakuji-san. And as if it was natural, you told me there was a next year. Ad I was really happy."

Tears started to appear from her eyes and she held his hand.

"You're amazing, Hakuji-san. Will you be my husband?"

Hakuji paused and took a deep breath. "Yes. I will become stronger than anyone else and protect you for my entire life."

After Hakuji finished telling his father about his marriage, he came back but only be greeted with bad news. His fiancé, his master... were poisoned and died.

His future wife, his master who gave him a chance to be a good person, his future... was snatched away from monsters who were frustrated because they can't defeat him and Keizo in a fight.

He made a promise to protect her from anything and he broke it.

Filled with anger, the boy went to the dojo who killed his only family left and killed all of the students. I'll spare you the details but let's just say the scene was too gruesome that the maid in the dojo lost her mind afterwards.

After Akaza snapped out of his past, he continued his fight between him and the demon slayers. His head regrows back, until Tanjiro punched him. He remembered his late master smiling face.

He realized, he bloodied his Master's martial arts style, he couldn't respect his father's last words. Tanjiro soon realizing that Akaza was about unleashed his blood demon art that he used last time to kill Rengoku, he grabbed Giyuu and prepare to take cover. Before he could hide, he saw the smile on the demon's face. It was not an evil one, it was a smile of kindness. The demon exploded.

Akaza opened his eyes and saw his father, smiling at him.

"Dad... are you okay? Are you in pain?"

"I'm fine, Hakuji. Thank you..."

After encountering his late father and master. Muzan appeared and pulled his pink hair, telling him to still fight. But then, when he saw the king of demons, he saw the love of his life, smiling at him.

"Hakuji-san, thank you. You've done enough."

"It's okay. It's okay, now."

Akaza couldn't believe his eyes. He reverted back to his normal self, ignoring Muzan's orders. Tears flowed on his face as he hugged Koyuki and his demon body crumbled away to dust.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry for not able to protect you! I'm sorry for not being there with you when you needed me! I couldn't keep a single promise...!! Forgive me please! Forgive me!! Please...!!"

"I'm glad you remembered all of us. And I'm glad you turned returned to being the old Hakuji-san." Tears started to flow on the girl's face.

"Welcome back, my husband..."