Chapter 8 - Ghosts

As I had mentioned before Emily's entire wardrobe consist of mainly dark colors but none are as remotely complimenting to her features as that wine red turtle neck she happened to wear today. Something about how it contrasts in a fall theme against her hickory brown eyes and dark brown hair, yet very flattering to the shade she picked for her lips today. Everything pulling together looks so complementary yet she didn't even try. In fact we were both ready in 10 minutes which is short 15 minutes than what most women are used to.

We decided to drive in together with my car and I would drop Emily off at home when the case is over. Despite her insisting she could drive I drove us although as I reached the very first traffic light leaving Emily's apartment building I got a sudden craving. "Wanna get coffee?" I say very openly earning a conflicted reaction from Emily. Her whole face lit up with excitement at the sound but she also knew we were late.

"We're already late though." She reminded me through still lit up brown eyes. "So we might as well be extra late and get coffee."

"Exactly," I agree before smiling to be met with a beaming smile from the gorgeous brunette in my passenger seat.

"You know I invented that,"

"And the 'I don't trust anyone but myself' look I know. You never let me forget it." We both smile again. I find it so easy to smile around her that I'm puzzled as to how I haven't noticed it before.

As we entered the debriefing room "fashionably late" with Emily using crutches to get around faster rather than hopping a few inches and then fight to maintain balance and repeat. "Sorry we're late," I apologize for the both of us earning a dismissive nod of approval from Hotch.

As Emily took her seat between Morgan and Rossi I placed her coffee in front of her receiving a "thank you" as I looked into her eyes as mine read a grateful response such as, "anytime," I then took the only other free seat on the end after Hotch, while Garcia started to brief us all. Usually I present the cases for the team but since I myself haven't even got to review the case it was always Garcia who would take my place. Probably because she's more good at it than she might believe.

"Alright my loveliest, women in this small town in New York are terrified because as of late last night there are 4 dead women all found in the acres of surrounding woods." Garcia generates and let us take it on.

"They're all abducted from the town. That's risky." Reid notes as he often likes to be first.

"You think there's something specific about the town?" Emily asks intrigued on the idea.

"Why else would he risk targeting a town of 982 people, it has to be personal." Reid further explained before getting cut off by Morgan.

"By now with four victims everybody will be taking extra precautions to staying safe and if the unsub sticks to his pattern he's gonna have to get pretty bold to make his next move." Morgan analyzed while scanning over a picture of one of the crime scenes, grimacing at the gruesome scene that is our job.

"Which means we better debrief on the plane and work out a strategy plan before we land." Hotch announced as he swiftly collected and organized the file back together before pushing his chair out as he spoke his trademark, "Wheels up in 10 minutes." And with that he was gone from the debriefing room. Mostly likely off to call his son before we take off.

As the rest of the team dispersed from the room as well it came down to Morgan, Prentiss and I as it grew quite dense in the room. At lease for me anyways it was.

Morgan stood showing off one of his cheekiest smiles as he actually expected some sort of explanation about this morning. "So..how was the sleepover?" He asked earning a distasteful scoff from Emily.