Chapter 2, The Darklands

The stale air of the Darklands was all Bular ever seemed to smell anymore. As he sharpened his twin blades on his arms, a guard appeared beside him, having ran to find him. "Master Bular, your father requests your presence immediately." Bular sliced one of the guards arms off without warning, testing the sharpness of his blade.

"Hm...Needs more..."

Bular looked at the guard in disgust. "You will address my father properly. This disrespect is your last mistake!" He chopped the guard's head off before walking off.

The large doors opened and Bular strode into the throne room where his father, Gunmar, sat upon his dark throne. His advisor, Dictatious, was whispering something to him, making Gunmar growl and make fists.

"Father, you summoned-"

Gunmar let out a loud roar of anger, making everyone in the throne room flinch, Bular included. He straightened back up quickly however, clearing his throat.

"Why am I just hearing this, Dictatious? That my mate ran off with him? How did she get out of the Darklands?!" Gunmar growled at his cowering advisor. "T-there must be a gate we don't know about, my lord..." Dic said nervously. Gunmar stood up and looked down at him, his single eye piercing his soul. "Then you better start looking for it." Gunmar said in a colder tone than usual. "Find them and have her slain for this betrayal!"

Dic ran off with the guards, leaving Bular alone with his father.

He waited a moment, studying his father until he sat back on his throne and heaved a sigh. He then approached... slowly.

"Father..." He said slowly as he took another careful step closer. "What is the reason you have summoned me?"

Gunmar sighed through his nose. "That woman betrayed me... she took your brother and ran.." Bular blinked. "Brother you say?"

Bular knew of his father's new mate. He had found her recently after his first mate- Bular's own mother- was killed in battle. Bular had a strong distaste for the half troll that had managed to impress his father enough to become his second mate. And now, if he was hearing correctly, that new mate turned traitor and ran with the newest whelp of the Gumm-Gumm king himself.

"-lar..."

And that meant he now had a brother. Was he going to be replaced? He knew he had failed his father more than once, but wasn't this going too far? Of course not. Gunmar had very high expectations for his son, and everyone else for that matter. Loyalty was a big thing to him, and by letting him down once or twice, his loyalty to his father was surly shot.

"BULAR!"

Bular snapped out of it and looked at his father once more. "Forgive me father, I-"

Gunmar held up a hand. "Save it. If you aren't going to listen then you are of no use to me. Get out." He growled.

"No father, I promise it will not happen again! Please tell me."

"Begging? I thought I taught you better than that."

"I only asked politely father-"

"LEAVE ME. NOW."

Bular lowered his head and turned to leave. He walked silently out of the throne room, feeling Gunmar's eye on him the entire time.

-------------------

Jim wandered around the cave house, unable to sit still. Kanjigar had Draal watching over him while he was out on trollhunter business. Draal would have preferred doing literally anything else. He scooped up Jim by the leg and lifted him up. "I'm going to get some glug, you stay right here and don't move a muscle." He warned while setting Jim in a cage that doubled as a crib. Draal knew that Jim would just crawl back out so he set a large boulder on the top before leaving the cave in sure satisfaction that the whelp wouldn't be going anywhere.