The Flying Lesson

Harry P.O.V

I had never met anyone that was as charmed as Draco. Draco Malfoy his pure blood white (disclaimer from Harry Potter Puppet Pals YouTube) I mean wizard family, his family is just so pure.

Firstly, Gryffindor’s only had Potions with the Slytherin’s which really sucked. I was the only lesson I got with him.

But as I walked down to the common room the next day there was a new notice on the Gryffindor’s noticeboard. This made most of the Gryffindor’s groan, but not me, we were to have flying lesson with the Slytherin’s, starting on Thursday – we would be learning together.

“Yes,” I said happily. “Just what I’ve always wanted to do go and impress Draco,” I had been looking forward to flying as soon as I got told we got the subject.

“You don’t know that you’ll impress yourself in front of him, you have never been on a broom. Beside I know Malfoy always goes on and on about how he is great at Quidditch, but I think it’s all talk. You probably are better than him,”

“HOW DARE YOU SAY I AM BETTER THAN HIM, HE IS THE BEST OF THE BEST, I WILL NEVER BE AS GREAT AS DRACO MALFOY. YOU HEAR ME, NEVER!!!!” I yelled at Ron, gosh he is an idiot sometimes.

Ron just stared at me with a look that said ‘what the hell’.

Draco certainly did do a lot of boasting about Quidditch, but I loved to listen to it all. I took it all in word by word; his voice was like music to my ears.

I went down for breakfast, I was stilled annoyed at Ron so I rushed. I also wanted to see Draco. I sat down for breakfast at the Gryffindor table, seating myself next to Hermione.  Hermione keep going on and on about Quidditch, she was trying to help me out with tips that she got from reading Quidditch through the Ages.

But I thought it was a good idea to read the book, so I borrowed it from Hermione. During breakfast I read it cover to cover so I could impress Draco with my Quidditch knowledge.

Once I finished it I placed the book down as the post arrived. Hundreds of owls flocked into the Great Hall. Draco’s eagle owl was always bringing him packages of sweets from home. It just made sense he was a sweet by and he got sweets.

A barn owl brought Neville a small package from his grandmother. I watched as he opened it. It was a glass ball, the size of a large marble; it seemed to be full of white smoke.

“It’s a Remerbrall,” Neville explained. “Gran knows I forget things – this tells you if there’s something you’ve forgotten to do. Look, you hold it tight like this and if it turns red – oh….” Neville’s face fell because the Remerbrall had suddenly glowed scarlet,” you’ve forgotten something,”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                                                  

At three-thirty that afternoon, all the first year Gryffindor’s hurried down to the front steps into the grounds for their first flying lesson. It was a clear, breezy day and the grass rippled under our feet as they marched down the slopping lawns towards a smooth grass oval.

The Slytherin’s were already there, 20 broom sticks laying in straight lines and a particular boy with silver-blond hair.

I had heard the Ron’s brothers the twins, Fred and George Weasley complained about the school broomsticks, that some of them started to vibrate if you flew too high, or always flew slightly to the left.

Our teacher Madam Hooch arrived. She had short, grey hair and yellow eyes like a hawk. “Well what are you waiting for?” she barked “Everyone stand by a broomstick. Come on hurry up,”

I scurried over to a broom which was next to Draco and whispered “Hey,” I glanced down at the broom. It was old and some of the twigs stuck out in odd angles. But whatever I was so ready to fly.

“Stick out your right hand over your broom,” called Madam Hooch at the front, “and say “Up”’

“UP,” I shouted, along with everyone else.

My broom jumped into my hand at once, and it was one of the few that did. I looked next to me to see that Draco broom had also leapt into his hand.

Madam Hooch then showed then how to mount their brooms without sliding off end, and walked up and down the rows correcting their grip.

“Now when I blow my whistle, you kick off the ground hard,” said Madam Hooch. “Keep down by leaning forward, hover for a moment then touch back down. On my whistle- three-two’

But of course Neville, nervous and jumpy and frightened of being left on the ground, pushed off hard before the whistle had touched Madam Hooch’s lips.

“Come back down here this instant,” she shouted, but Neville was riding straight up like a cork shot out of a bottle.

“I don’t think he can control it Professor,” I shouted at her.

“Oh really Potter, how dare you back chat a teacher, you should have been in Slytherin, 10 points from Gryffindor,”

While this argument was occurring no one took notice of Neville.

“Well where did the boy fly off to,” Madam Hooch muttered.

“He is over there,” a young Gryffindor said, pointing to a figure lying on the grass.

Madam Hooch walked over and examined him.

“Oh it’s just a broken wrist, nothing to worry about, just leave him there. Now I must go see Madam Pomfrey. If I see a single broom in the air, the one riding it will find themselves before they can say “Quidditch”’.

 I mounted my broom and took off into the sky. “QUIDDITCH, hey I said it and I’m still here,” I yelled aloud to everyone. Madam Hooch was already gone.  Hermione face planted and said “What an idiot,”

“Look!” said Draco, darting forward and snatching something out of the grass, “It that stupid thing Neville got this morning,” The Remerbrall glittered in the sunlight as he held it up.

“Give that here Malfoy, let’s play catch,” I said to him.

“Okay have it your way,” Draco said as he hopped on top of his broom and pushed off into the air.

We rushed back and forwards playing catch for a good 10 minutes.

“Catch it you can then,” Malfoy shouted as we played. He threw the glass ball high into the air, and then darted back to the ground.

I saw the ball fly as if it was in slow motion, the ball rise up into the air and then fall. I leant forward on my broom and pointed the handle down – the next second I was gathering speed in a steep drive, racing the ball – I stretched out my hand and grasped the glass ball in my hand.

“HARRY POTTER,” I heard someone scream from across the pitch. “GET DOWN HE THIS INSTANT,” It was Professor McGonagall.

I tilted my broom forward and glided down until I tough the ground. “Is that Neville?”  She asked no one in particular.  She raced over towards Neville’s body who was still groaning in pain.

Draco walked over to me. “I hope you’re not expelled, it wouldn’t be Hogwarts without you, let alone Potions or Flying lessons,”

Before I could answer Professor McGonagall yelled “Potter with me,”

I had no choice but to go, I didn’t want to be expelled.

“Potter you are the new Gryffindor Seeker,”