Care For A Dare?

"I've got a dare for you, Theo," Sully purred, flashing a grin of crooked white teeth badly in need of braces. Clove and Ecco shared knowing glances, instantly catching the small lad's drift.

   "Actually, we all have a dare for you," Ecco's soft voice crooned. Theo grimaced at the power Sully's mischief had over this sweet girl. She wasn't all sunshine and rainbows—she had a dark sense of humor that Sully tapped into much too often for Theo's liking. He didn't think Sully's influence brought out the best in her. Then again, Sully and Ecco had practically known each other from birth. Who was he to judge?

   Folding his arms, he faced them all, Ecco beaming up at him from her place by his side.

   "Alright, what's your stupid dare?"

   "So. You don't believe in monsters. Right?"

   He raised his eyebrows jadedly. "Of course not."

   "And you aren't afraid of dark, spooky places. Right?"

   An exasperated sigh escaped Theo's lips. "Sully, just spit it out and get this over with. It's late."

   "Goody-goody," Sully muttered to no one in particular.

   Clove sniggered.

   Clearing his throat, Sully spoke up in an eerily serious voice: "Theo Letterman, Unbeliever of monsters, urban legends, and all things otherworldly, I dare you to spend the entire rest of this night locked in that old rundown laundromat which is rumored to be teeming, absolutely infested, with Cavae Oculos." The words dripped in the air with such ease as they left his mouth. As if they were natural. As if such creatures existed.

   Of course, they did not. They were monsters.

   Monsters were not real.

   Oh, this was going to be too easy.

   Theo laughed. "I accept your dare," he answered boldly. His mates raised one eyebrow each, sharing looks of skepticism amongst each other as they shook their heads reprovingly. Theo was used to such unspoken conversations and understood their meaning perfectly. He knew they were silently judging him. That was nothing new.

"Monsters don't exist, therefore I already have the upper hand."

   "Don't be too sure about that," Clove muttered bitterly, receiving firm nods of approval from Sully and Ecco.

"Good luck," Sully grinned wickedly, the chill wind tossing his unruly hair about as he shook hands with the confident daredevil.

"You're gonna need it," Clove chimed, looking stricken with horror.

Ecco squeezed Theo's arm, then tiptoed to lightly kiss his cheek. "Please be careful," she whispered, eyes dark with concern. Theo nodded and hugged her tightly as the foursome ambled to the laundromat.

Sully managed to find a key to the place, which he used accordingly. He ushered Theo inside, which proved difficult with Ecco leeched to him. Employing Clove's assistance was necessary to pry her off.

Once Theo was inside, Sully locked the door and pocketed the key.

His three comrades would wait out here where it was safe.

Hollow Eyesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें