Chapter 13: Book of Spells

Grace sat in Uncle Tom's study doing her homework. She sat on the rolling chair typing furiously on the laptop. It was one of things in this house that was semi-new. The essay she had to write was a tough one. She took breaks in between her work to reply to her text with Mason. Grace reached for her pencil to cross out wording on her daft, but when she put the pencil back, it rolled lazily off the desk. Grunting she went to get it, but before taking the fat Tiger off her lap and placing him on the desk. The cat sighed unpleasantly. Jumping off, the cat left the room. When Grace got her pencil, she looked at the desk door that still remained locked from the last time she checked it.

Curiously, she pulled on its small round handle and pulled. Still locked. Grace huffed. Sitting back on the chair, she grabbed her phone.

I know this is random, she texted Mason. But I'm very curious to know what my uncle keeps locked up in his desk door.

Well, Mason replied. I wouldn't be surprised if old Tom does keep things locked up. Then he texted, what's in the door? Grace rolled her eyes.

Would I be texting if I actually knew? She texted. Mason's text bubble came up and he replied,

He has a bunch of spell books locked up there. I know my old man does. But he never keeps them at the house. He had them stored away in some secret department at his office. Grace paused in her reply. Spell books?

Spell books? She wrote back. What are spell books? Like witches and sorcerer junk like that? There was a long pause in the texting. No text bubbles popped up on the screen. Hello? You still there? She typed. What aren't you telling me?

So old Tom hasn't told you about them yet? Mason finally texted back. That was enough said. Abandoning the text, Grace went out of the study and found her Uncle Tom sitting on the couch reading his newspaper. Tiger was curled up next to him. "Uncle Tom." Grace said. Tom bent his paper down to look at his niece.

"Yes, Gracie?" Tom said.

"Tell me about the spell books." There was a long silence. The dragons, all three of them who were sleeping on the opposite couch, looked up at Tom and then at Grace. Tom sighed, nodded, and put his paper down.

"Alright." He said. "I suppose that young Mason has said something about them?" Grace nodded. Tom motioned for her to follow. They walked into the study. "The spell books are nothing more than what they are. There are spells in there that you can use and do to do certain things... like in the movies or shows you children watch nowadays. All you need are the ingredients and the words and poof! You got yourself a powerful spell."

Taking his keys out of his pockets he unlock the door and show Grace the stack of old dusty books inside. Tom took out one and gave it to Grace. Grace flipped through the book seeing pictures and words that were in a different language. Grace raised an eyebrow. "They're Latin." Tom said answering her unasked question. Grace nodded. She handed the book back to her uncle who put it back in its spot and locked the door back up.

"They are to never be used. Unless you absolutely need to. Understand?" Grace nodded.

"Yes."

"Good. These books have been in our family for many generations. And they will stay in our generation... half of theses do belong to your mother, she refused to have them in her house and gave them to me. But when you're older, they are yours to keep." Tom stood up and looked at the laptop screen. "You better finish your essays now, young lady." Tom grinned, patting his niece on the shoulder and left the study. Grace sighed, sinking into her rolling chair. Picking up her phone she saw Mason was a one-sided conversation with himself over their text. She smiled and started to text him back.