Chapter 5: Problems Increase

The pack celebrated killing Laurent that night while I returned to Denali to tell Irina.

"Rina. I'm sorry." I say and I watch as realization dawns on her.

"What happened?" She asked me.

"He tried to kill Bella and he was breaking the treaty by feeding on humans while he was in Forks." I tell my cousin. I catch her as she collapses to the ground. "He was helping Victoria, Rina. I have to go back and watch Bella. I'm so so sorry." I say one last time as her sisters come and help her inside the house.

"Alexis. Are you safe when you're there?" Alice asks me.

I look at her confused before seeing why she asked. "You can't see me when I'm around the pack can you?" She nods telling me I guessed right. "I'm safe. I picked up a gift that allows me to appear human and gives me my old scent back rather than bleach. I'm able to come and go on the Reservation as I please as long as I move away from Forks when I hunt since I allowed them on our side for their patrols."

"I can't see Bella's future half the time." Alice says. "I can't see it right now." she adds.

I growled. "Jacob."

I took off running back to La Push and met with the guys at Emily's. "Have any of you seen Jake since you took down Laurent?" I asked as I used my gift to smell human.

They all looked at me and shook their heads. "We didn't even see him at the bonfire last night." Sam tells me. "You don't think he would--"

"I do. Alice learned she can't see you guys or me when I'm with you. Bella's future keeps disappearing at times. I think he went to see her last night." I tell them. I walk out of the house and head toward Billy's with the pack following behind me. I caught sight of Bella's truck and growled. "I can't walk out there Sam. You have to go."

I jump into the trees to watch rather than stay on the ground. The pack walked out of the vegetation and whooped to let Billy and Jake know they were there. I watched as Bella stomped toward the pack. I nearly growled and jumped down when she slapped the hotheaded wolf causing him to phase and reveal the secret. I would have stayed longer when the breeze blew and I caught Victoria's scent. 'Sam Victoria's around. I'm gonna see if I can catch her.' I think toward the Alpha who looks toward me discreetly before I run off. I chased her all the way up to Canada again before I lost the scent. I growled lowly as I returned back to La Push. I stayed far enough into the vegetation that surrounded the pack house since Bella was there. I heard Emily whisper to one of the guys to bring me a muffin after Sam told her I was in the woods. Paul walked into the woods after saying he had patrol.

"Never caught her did you." He said as he saw me.

"No. I get the feeling she'll be playing this game for a while." I say looking down at the ground. I leaned up against a tree. "How'd Bella take the whole wolf thing?" I asked changing the subject.

"She's good with weird." He simply said. "I take it you won't be staying in the house now that she will most likely be around."

"I'll be back in the Cullen house." I tell him. "I promised my family if I came back that Bella wouldn't see me. If Victoria does get past me or I'm out on a hunt to feed then just howl and I'll be there to help." I get up before walking toward the treaty line and the Cullen house. I hadn't been back to it since I came back to Forks. I was surprised to see the Volturi Tracker standing by the door. "What do I owe for this visit, Demetri?"

"Luna wanted to come. She considers you a friend as do I." He said as I grabbed the hidden key and unlocked the door. As I walked in I let the gift I copied from Luna lift as I lost my human scent. "I'm surprised you can do that. Luna still can't figure out how to use her gift for one thing like changing her scent. It typically works if she uses it to look human."

"I had plenty of time to practice since I came back to Forks." I say. I looked around the room and noticed the broken piano still there from the night of Bella's party. I rolled my eyes. "Ignore the mess. There was a fight before my family and I split up."

We caught up for the rest of the night before he finally told me why he was there. "Your brother Edward was in Volterra before I came to visit. I was wondering if you knew why?"

"No. He tends to call everyone else to check in. He's not happy I had to come back to Forks because of the vampire I told you about. He understands though that it was to make sure his mate is protected." I explain.

"There's something else. I noticed it after Luna and I arrived back in Volterra and were sent out on another mission with the rest of the Elite guards. One of them who has never been relaxed when we leave for a mission was completely relaxed as he sat where you sat when we flew you back here. I noticed that you had done the same thing when you stepped on the jet."

I looked at him trying to put the pieces together. "I don't know what to tell you." I looked toward the mirror that we had hanging on the wall. I needed to feed since my hunt the day before was interrupted by having to deal with Laurent. "I'm sorry if I sound rude but I need to hunt." I tell him as I move to get up. I ran up to my room quickly to change into a pair of leggings and one of my old t-shirts. I slipped into a pair of converses before running back down to see Demetri still there.

"Mind if I join you." He asked.

"As long as you hunt the animals. Then when you leave Forks you can go back to feeding on the humans." I tell him. I was surprised when he agreed. I led him toward Goat Rocks Wilderness and toward Rainier. I was in the mood for some bears. I was surprised when he drained the bear.

"That's disgusting." He said once he finished.

I finished my third bear before looking at him smirking. "I said the same thing when Jasper first taught me. I got used to it over time." I closed my eyes and listened to my surroundings before opening them again. "I take it you have to get back to the Volturi?"

"Yes." Demetri says.

"Tell Luna I said hello. And here let me see your phone." I tell him. He hands me his phone which I quickly take and add my number and send myself a text. "Now you can stay in touch rather than doing these impromptu visits. And you can give it to Luna as well." I tell him before handing his phone back to him. I watch as he runs off toward Volterra.

As the days passed I stayed close to the treaty line and helped the boys hunt Victoria. It was the third time this week that we were hunting her but now we had to be careful as Bella had told Charlie and Harry Clearwater about the huge wolves in the woods. Harry had told the pack who then told me that there was a hunting party out there. I stayed in the trees while I waited on the boys. Like me Victoria was watching the hunting party before she ran toward Charlie Swan. Harry - who was a few feet behind- saw her and raised his gun. Victoria instead turned toward him, lifting him up. I jumped down from my spot and tackled her as the pack joined me. We chased her all the way toward the cliffs where the boys tended to cliff dive. I would have jumped after her but I was sucked into a vision of Alice coming back to Forks. I looked further and saw her reasoning.

"Bella's in the water, Sam! If I go in I'm going after the redhead." I yelled and told them. I watched Jacob quickly phase and pull on a pair of shorts before he jumped in after her. "Head to the Clearwater's, Sam, they're gonna need you. I'm gonna head back to Forks for when Alice arrives."

Sam nodded as I took off running for Forks. I hid out in the woods that surrounded Bella's house like I had for so many nights now after she had seen the pack in the woods. As night fell I noticed the black Mercedes pull up on to the other side of the road before parking. I caught a glimpse of Alice who flitted toward Bella's window and entered the house. I followed after my pixie sister and we both waited as we heard the engine of Bella's truck pull up. I heard her and Jacob talking before the door opened and then the front door unlocked. Alice stood by the door and Bella jumped back in surprise noticing her. Meanwhile I stayed on the couch and listened.