Ch. 23

"Well? Who was it? What did they say?" I asked

"It was an old acquaintance of mine. Someone I used to do jobs with. That's all I can say really."

"Well, what the hell did they want?"

"Did they say anything about my wife?" asked Pierson.

Michael did not answer or even acknowledge Pierson or myself. He just stared into space looking fierce and dangerous. I couldn't tell what he was thinking, I never could. 

***** Michael's POV*****

Alex looked at me and I wanted to tell her everything but I couldn't. She could never accept the truth. The truth about who I am really. She thinks she knows about me, about being a killer, but she doesn't know the half of it. And now this old friend, well not friends really. We used to be friends until that night, but not anymore. Now this enemy is threatening me and my own. He should really know better after all we've been through.

What am I going to do? I could turn Alex in, she would only do a fraction of the time I would, maybe a couple years with good behavior. Me on the other hand, if I turned myself in, I wouldn't even get the luxury of prison, more like the death penalty for my crimes. I'm not a good person. I deserve nothing less, and I knew the consequences, no excuses. 

I can't betray her, she's the only person I have left to live for. I love her. I know what I have to do..