vii. halloween.

EMMALINA GRANGER wondered if she was alive.

Red-rimmed eyes were being continuously rubbed, causing them to get even more irritated. Her dry eyes threatened to water if she didn't continuously blink. Parvati and Lavender had asked her what was wrong and had gasped when Emmalina told the pair about her adventures.

She had barely managed to sleep a wink, the terrifying three-headed dog making an appearance in her nightmares. An uneasy feeling had come over almost as if she had just barely whizzed and avoided the touch of Death.

Almost touching death made her realize just how fragile human life was. Just how delicate it was before it could cruelly be snatched away.

She picked at her food with a distraction unlike her, almost falling asleep in the process. She could make out Lavender and Parvati gossiping away but could hardly bring herself to pay attention, shutting her eyes briefly. Her body had begged for a moment of rest but she wasn't willing to skip out on the demanding lessons.

Owls flooded the Great Hall as usual.

 Everyone's attention was caught at once by a long, thin package carried by six large screech owls.  Emmalina's eyes followed the owls, wondering what the enormous parcel was and who it was for.

The owls dropped the thing right in front of Harry, knocking his bacon to the floor. They had hardly fluttered out of the way when another owl dropped a letter on top of the parcel.  

Emmalina watched with a hint of curiosity as Harry read the letter and Ron's face brightened like a million suns. Harry had a grin on his face watching his friend's enthusiasm. To her surprise both the boys left the Great Hall, carrying the package with them.

Malfoy and his goonies followed.

A weird feeling overcame her, as her eyes narrowed at the trio who she had grown to loathe. Before long she found herself standing and following the trio. Even if she couldn't soothe the fire, she still wanted to watch it burn.

At least she would have something to gossip about with her friends.

Parvati and Lavender were too engrossed in their talking with another boy in their year, Dean, to give it much notice.

She had just followed them halfway across the entrance hall when they suddenly stopped dead in their tracks. She watched as Malfoy seized the package from Harry and felt it. She stepped forward sidestepping Malfoy and his goonies and watched the drama unfold from beside them with her arms folded on her chest.

"That's a broomstick," he said, throwing it back to Harry with a mixture of jealousy and spite on his face. "You'll be in for it this time, Potter, first years aren't allowed them."

To her surprise, Ron let a smile grace his lips. "It's not any old broomstick," he said, "it's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty?" Ron turned at Harry. "Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."

"What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy snapped back. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig."

Emmalina rolled her eyes at Malfoy, letting a small scoff leave her lips.

Before Ron could answer, Professor Flitwick appeared at Malfoy's elbow with an eager expression.

"Not arguing, I hope, boys and girls?" he squeaked just like he always did.

Harry and Ron flickered their gazes to Emmalina, realizing her presence then with a start.