"Don't go there, holmes." Putt snatched the salt shaker from the table, and began turning it between his palms as if he were attempting to spark flames. "Already said I was ridin'. Nothin' is gonna change that, but you need to get some of that weight off your chest and pass that shit around. Stop actin' like this is all on you, 'cause it's not. Throw some of that load my way and trust me when I say we need an extra person. Since you're not tryin' to put Ant in this situation, then that leaves Taz."

C's straightened from his slouch at the counter, clasping his hands in front of his chest as he raised his chin in challenge. "No the fuck it don't."

"Yes the fuck it does, folk. Damn," Putt said, slamming the salt shaker back down on the table. "I know you're worried about Taz's connection to Vargas, but other than familial, there is no connection."

"What the fuck ever, Putt. Tell that shit to a duck, 'cause Vargas wouldn't have formed a useless association with Reyes over a familial bond. Word is, Vato is business first and everything else second in relation," C's said, daring Putt to dispute him.

"Stop listening to everyone else's word and hear mine." Slowly, Putt rose from his seat, his glare fastened to C's as the backs of his knees inched the chair backwards. "Vargas is family first, when it comes to my primo. Believe it or not, he sent Taz here to keep him out of trouble, not to snake territory. The only reason he bothered negotiating peace with Reyes was because he heard how crucial hood politics could be in the Circle. He wanted to give Taz some breathin' room when he touched down." Putt rubbed his palm across the top of his shaved haircut, while releasing a harassed sigh. Continuing, he raised his voice to compete with the laughter and loud music coming from the block party outside. "Hombre could give a dick about puttin' P'Cola on lock. It's petty compared to what he already holds. Think, Holmes, if Vargas really wanted the block all he'd have to do was open his mouth and swallow it whole. The Gulf Cartel is a beast, Maldonado's little weak ass outfit wouldn't stand a chance if he decided to pull a move."

Was Putt serious? Of course Vargas would kill to add P'Cola to his territory. It was the only slice of land that bordered his yard the he didn't control.

"Then that's all the more reason to keep Taz outta the mix," C's said, his mouth hitching at the corner. "The last thing we need is to find ourselves on the wrong side of the Gulf Cartel, if something were to happen to his slimy ass cousin while out in those woods." He swaggered across the kitchen to the entrance. "He stays, Putt." Leaving the room without another word, he strode across the living room and out the front door with Putt trailing him to the yard.

Distracted, C's lifted his chin at a couple of chicas who were about to shake a bone loose as they gyrated to a Two Live Crew throwback track. All in attempts to snatch his attention, but his gaze swung over them and swept his surroundings, until what he sought captured his searching glance. Bent over on her knees with her mini white jean skirt hiked to the tops of chocolate brown thighs, Cleo yelled at Tigo, her neck bobbing and weaving like heavy weight champion defending his title. With one hand she clutched a pile of money on the ground encircled by a group of hard legs from the block, while using her index finger on her free hand to jab at the air in front of Tigo's face.

C's rolled his eyes toward the powder blue sky. How many times had he told her to stay her ass from across that damn street? It wasn't normal for a female to chill with a gang of dudes who wasn't about to get in it, much less shoot dice with the vatos. Squaring his shoulders, he fisted his hands at his sides as he crossed the street to Putt's yard. He was so mad he saw everything in red fiery doubles, and the fact that Taz stood at her rear, eye fucking her from the behind, only made things blaze brighter in his distorted field of vision.

At C's approach his homeboys amused expressions, transformed to innocent, I ain't have shit to do with this, looks as they stepped backwards, giving him room to creep up on Cleo from the back.