Chapter 42: Reuniting What's Been Long Separated

Start from the beginning

"It's a possibility. Do you know a way to tell?"

Shun did. "There's an array you can use to force a being to reveal their true form, or forms. But I'm not sure either of us is up to it."

"Maybe my father could manage?" Shirong gestured back towards the lake. "I think that's his specialty."

An excellent thought. "I don't know, but I don't see a reason why we can't ask."

After all, their troubles began with the mistakes their parents had made. No reason at all they couldn't expect those same parents to help them work things out.

Even if it was still up to Shun and Shirong to finish what they'd started.

#

It didn't take long to find Xu Sheng. Shirong's father was already looking for them, just leaving Meng Huang Shang's cart and heading in the direction Priest Housu pointed. To Shun's surprise, Liang Ren was with him, walking on his hands and singing an odd little ditty comprised of nonsense syllables.

"Back already?" Xu Sheng glanced curiously at the wrapped bundle tossed over Shirong's shoulder. "I thought you were supposed to be with... a certain young madman."

"There's a tale to tell on that subject, sir." Shun turned his attention to Liang Ren. "And what are you doing here?"

"My King is alone...."

"Hey!"

"Almost alone and faced with troubles without number. How can this lowly fox-spirit fail to support his King?"

Shun winced. He'd mostly accepted he didn't have a choice about being the Demon King. What he wasn't sure he wanted to accept, or even consider, was the foolish court manners that went with it. Couldn't he just hide in a cave somewhere and cultivate? Couldn't he?

The answer, of course, was no. He turned his attention on Liang Ren. "Your King allows you to accompany him. As long as you do as I say and don't go poking your tail... tails... into trouble without consulting with me first."

A startled look crossed Liang Ren's face. Then he grinned broad. "Your Majesty's desires are mine. This unworthy...."

"Don't do that. We'll discuss court manners later. Right now I don't want you drawing attention to us." The last thing he needed was for the merchants surrounding him to decide he was a potential source of wealth.

"Sure. Got it. So, Senior Shun. What do you need me to do?"

"Give me a moment to talk to Master Xu here." Shun turned his attention back to Xu Sheng. "Sir, do you happen to know the Array of Clear Sight?"

"I know it. It's been some years since I needed it. Why?"

Shun tapped the disciple flopped over Shirong's shoulder. "This is one of Master Qiong's chosen disciples, one of the ones who follow him only and don't involve themselves in Sect business."

"Eh? When did he start doing that? He never...." Shaking himself, Xu Sheng apologized. "You were explaining what you needed. Go on."

With a sigh for the easily distracted, Shun continued, "We noticed he was lacking a thing most humans have and wondered if he might, possibly, be not entirely human."

Xu Sheng didn't hesitate. "I can help you with that, but first we have someplace to go. I've gotten a boat to take us to the center island. Someone's waiting to meet you."

It was easy to guess who that person was. "Mother?"

"En. She does want to meet you, child. The island's the best place for that. It's holy to snake spirits and protected."