Chapter 40: Seeking Dreams

Shun found himself dawdling over his dinner, putting off the moment when Xu Sheng would have to tell him the truth about his mother. He wasn't sure he wanted to know anymore. He believed neither of his parents wanted to abandon him. Believed circumstances had been beyond their control

Yet at the same time he was afraid he'd been a bother for them. That neither had wanted the trouble that came with raising a child doomed to become the next Adversary. Even though the Forest King had told him that wasn't true, the fear remained.

Quite suddenly, Xu Sheng said, "Neither of you are unwanted. Neither of you are unworthy." At their startled expressions he added, "It's obvious what you're thinking, both of you. But, really, all the mistakes are on our side, not yours. You didn't ask for any of this."

It was something of a relief to have someone say so. If Shun hadn't had years of being told the exact opposite, he might even have accepted it more readily. He sipped his tea, gazing at the amber liquid thoughtfully. Then, "Couldn't you have found some way to tell us sooner?"

Even as he spoke he knew he was being horribly rude. As far as he knew, Xu Sheng was still a senior disciple of Leifeng Sect. He was Shirong's father and Shun's martial uncle. He was owed greater respect than Shun was giving him.

Before Shun could find the words for an apology, however, Xu Sheng murmured, "Your father couldn't because of his agreement with the Gods. Your mother couldn't because she was lost."

That made Shun sit up. "Lost?"

"Yes." Xu Sheng used a bit of water to draw an oval. "This represents the five kingdoms of the physical world. And before you complain that there's only four kingdoms, you mustn't forget Jingling Forest. The beings that live there may not be human but they are people."

Having spent as much time in Jingling Forest as he had, Shun accepted the claim without question. "But what does that have to do with anything?"

"Years ago I helped your mother escape Master Qiong's imprisoning ice. I'd intended to bring her to your father so he'd know she was safe, but things went wrong. Master Qiong had left traps in the palace. We were forced to flee."

"Through the portal in my mother's chambers?"

"That leads to a place I didn't belong, youngster. A demon can survive in the Heavens. Regular humans cannot." Refusing to be distracted, Xu Sheng continued, "We were separated during our escape. I was thrown into Khai Kingdom, where I met and married your mother, Shirong. Your mother, Shun, went a great deal further, into the lands outside the Five Kingdoms."

That was right. It wasn't something one tended to think about, training at Leifeng, but there were other lands beyond the mountains surrounding the Five Kingdoms. Those mountains made it nearly impossible for outsiders to get in or natives to leave. "So she had to find a way back?"

"Exactly. And once I got word where she was, I was sworn to help her, which meant leaving the Five Kingdoms myself. That's why I took Shirong here to Leifeng after his mother died. I thought it was safe."

"It wasn't risky for Shirong," Shun pointed out. "But why give my egg to them, after Master Qiong made it clear what he thought of my parents' relationship?"

"Master Qiong's actions weren't acceptable to Leifeng at the time." Xu Sheng paused to drink from his wine cup, expression turning grim. "The council had reprimanded him for what he'd done to your parents. Your father gave your egg to his father because we all expected Master Quan to be stepping up as Sect Master."

Shun had heard rumors that there'd been a huge argument among the sect's elders over who would replace Master Zhan Kui after he'd stepped down. He hadn't known his Shizun had been the one intended to take the position. He'd ask why Master Quan had stayed, given he'd been denied his rightful place, but had a feeling it was to protect Shun. To protect his grandson.