chapter two: breakfast with mikan and hajime

Current Song: Dirty Night Clowns - Chris Garneau

[two]

     Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, or more like lack of, (Y/n) opened the door of her cottage. Just like she had expected, not everything was as it seemed, and just yesterday a bi-colored and evil-looking bear had trampled Usami and told them they were being forced into a killing game. (Y/n), who couldn't be bothered with sleep when her paranoia wouldn't leave her be, had spent the majority of her night trying to figure out how to get them all out of this terrifying situation. She had no luck, as expected, because, without proper sleep, your brain was useless. She also had to deal with Komaeda. He had stopped by in the middle of the night and has started to quiz her on their other classmates.

     While he was the main reason she didn't get any sleep, (Y/n) couldn't find it in herself to be too mad at him. Not when he was constantly degrading himself like he was trash. It bothered her, and she told him that, too. She wasn't one for deep conversations, especially with someone who she barely remembered. She had to guess that they knew each other while at the academy before they had their memories swiped, and that was why she refused to let him demean himself in front of her. The conversation hadn't really gotten them anywhere. The only people she spoke to were Hinata, Nanami, Komaeda, and Tsumiki. That was it, with maybe the small exception of Mioda and Tanaka.

     "Y-you look v-very tired, rest is... important!"

     A small and stuttering voice rang out in the air, the sound piercing (Y/n)'s ears even though it was soft and gentle. So, along with sleep deprivation, Komaeda had given her a migraine as well? Perfect.

     Turning on her heels, (Y/n) looked at Mikan, the girl had her index fingers pressed together in a very cliche way, one that reminded (Y/n) of the Naruto character Hyuga Hinata. A bright pink pigment was plastered on Mikan's pale face, the color reached to her ears and neck, making her seem extremely flushed. Mikan had been the fourth person (Y/n) had officially met on the island, and while their conversations were slightly awkward, mostly filled with Mikan's stutters and useless apologies, (Y/n) was quite fond of the awkward nurse.

     "Hm? Oh, I stayed up with Komaeda last night. He was asking me questions," (Y/n) pressed her left hand to her head, rubbing at her temple, trying to ease the slight ache she felt coming on. Mikan was silent, but her eyebrows knitted together, and (Y/n) grabbed her wrist to make her walk. "Sorry to worry you, Mikan. We should get to the restaurant so we can eat. Eating sometimes helps with migraines, right?" Mikan was lost in her thoughts, her eyes blank as she let (Y/n) pull her along the path that leads to their destination. She felt her face heating up, feeling slightly feverish as (Y/n)'s fingers curled with her own.

     'Her hand is... so soft,' Mikan thought, biting her lip sternly as to not let out the small whimper she felt climbing up her throat. 'I don't want her to ever let go~'

( ◍•㉦•◍ )

     "Goodmorning, Hajime," (Y/n) sits down next to the brown-haired boy, Mikan at her side. Kazuichi and Mahiru were at the same table, and Kazuichi can't help but blurt out something. "Geez, you look tired as hell!"  Mahiru smacks him upside the head, going on about how rude it was to say something like that to a girl. It was insensitive. "Yeah, I didn't get to bed until around five. I was thinking of a solution... not that it was any use," she sighs, sipping at some orange juice. Hopefully, she'd wake up a little after this. Nagito was nowhere to be seen, but (Y/n) wouldn't be surprised if he was fast asleep in his cottage. If she wasn't so stubborn about being punctual, she'd be passed out as well.

     "I thought I heard someone in your cottage last night," Chiaki starts, putting her game down for a minute. (Y/n) had to stop herself from scolding her. It was bad manners to have electronics at the table when people are eating, but she didn't feel like nagging anyone, especially not this early in the morning. "Komaeda was in there, we were talking about our situation, we didn't get very far, though." Kazuichi nudged Teruteru, snickering, though (Y/n) was quite oblivious of this because she was too busy picking at her food. "He's very eccentric, though you should know that, right, Hajime?"

     Hajime let out a nervous chuckle, patting (Y/n)'s back as she rests her hand on her chin. "You'll probably want to get out of here before Ibuki and Nekumaru show up, it won't be good for your headache, right?" (Y/n) nods her head, finishing off her juice before making her way to the door, though not before grabbing a little packet of yogurt. "Yeah. I'm heading back to my cottage, if you need me, I'll be there." Waving goodbye, (Y/n) walks out the door, stumbling slightly, the effects of sleep deprivation still eating at her.

     As she walked, she felt unusually calm. Maybe she liked spending time with everyone? She had felt the same way after talking with Nagito the night before, so maybe she just liked the people here? 'Too much thinking isn't good for you, (Y/n),' she thought to herself, shaking her head. Things were so chaotic, plus they had that party that Byakuya was planning, which she didn't feel too great about. It was a terrible idea, that was just the pro of her talent, she guessed. She had a feeling something horrifying was going to happen at that party. She was going to warn Byakuya, hopefully, convince him to cancel the event, and spend the rest of the night in her cottage curled up with a good book, hopefully, at least.

     'I won't be going to that party, even if he decides to go through with it. It'd be like signing my own death certificate.'

this should be obvious, but big SPOILERS for SDR2. I just finished Ibuki and Hiyoko's trial and I am D E C E A S E D

also, fun fact, I was going to make the reader's talent Ultimate Cosplayer but decided against it last second lol