Chapter Three

A/N: Dedicating this chapter to my dear friend and one of my very first reviewers, Rosielaurel, who recently left Wattpad. I miss you so much! Sorry for taking so long with updating, but I'm entering my second year of high school and the work has been really tough! On the other hand, I'm thankful for my new followers and the ones who have voted on this story, so this chapter is for you as well! 

Enjoy :)

Chapter Three

Dusk fell over Sweetwater, shadowing the streets and causing the townspeople in their homes to light their lamps, each of them looking forward to the time when it would be light until ten o'clock at night. 

In the boarding-house, the occupants were just finishing their supper. Looking around the table, Miss Nellie asked, "Is everyone finished?" On the boarders' assent, Angel and Nellie got up and began clearing the plates.

"Another delicious meal, ma'am," old Mr O'Hara said, his Irish brogue lilting every word as he smiled at Angel. "You ladies sure look like angels and cook like 'em, too."

Angel smiled back. She liked Mr O'Hara. He was an old-timer who did odd jobs around the town and spent the rest of his time telling stories of the past to the wide-eyed children who crowded around him, plus he was one of the few people who didn't judge Angel because of her past.

As they finished washing the dishes, Nellie spoke up. "Got somethin' on your mind? You've been awful quiet lately."

Angel stared at the plate she was scrubbing, finally getting the courage to say the words. "I'm going to apply for a job outside of Sweetwater."

There was a long silence. Nervously, Angel glanced at Nellie, but the boarding-house owner said nothing, methodically cleaning the cup in her hands. Eventually, she put it down and spoke. "Where are you plannin' to go?"

Angel steeled herself. "There's a job for a housekeeper open on the O'Connor homestead."

Nellie stared at her. "The O'Connor homestead just out of town?"

Angel nodded. 

The grey-haired woman looked away for a while, and then spoke again. "You know what you're gettin' yourself into? The O'Connors ain't exactly model citizens, y'know."

"I know," Angel responded. "Part of me thinks I should just forget it and look for a job somewhere else. But there's no one else who would hire me." She let out a faint laugh. "At least, in a place where the owners have about as bad a reputation as mine, I have a chance to start over."

"You prayed about this?" Nellie's grey eyes bored into Angel.

Angel nodded. "Every minute since the wedding and after I saw the notice. I have to do this, Nellie." She smiled. "Besides, I might not even get the job."

Nellie nodded. "I understand."

Angel turned to her. "You do?"

"You think you're the only one with a stain in her past, girl? You'd be surprised, some of the people I've seen and known pass through this town." Nellie turned back to Angel, her eyes misty but her voice firm. "Do what you have to do. But two pieces of advice, if you'll take 'em?"

Angel nodded. "You know I will."

"Don't go jumpin' into anythin'. Make sure it's God's will before ya do it. And two, if anythin'...bad happens, don't be afraid to come back. You'll always have a home here, no matter what that Landry woman and her lot say."

Angel stared at her for a moment, and then reached out and impulsively hugged the older woman, tears pricking the back of her eyes. "Thank you," she whispered. "Thank you so much."