Chapter One

We've been back on campus for a week now after the Summer break. It's my last year at college and I couldn't be more excited for this year. Fall is soon upon us and the leaves outside my dorm window have already started to wilt and fall off their branches. I sit at my desk taking a most needed break from studying enjoying the Fall scenery when Ev barges in the room. 

"Ugh you're still studying? You've been studying all day Mils" Evelyn groans and collapses back onto her bed "I thought we could do something this afternoon" she looks up at me, clearly not impressed. 

"Sorry Ev, I still have so much to do" I reply tapping away at my laptop looking back and forth between my words and her. 

"Well I just came back in to see whether you're interested in going over to the frat house, but clearly you're not" she picks up her bag and throws it over her shoulder "Call me if you want to hang out later otherwise I'll see you tonight". 

I hear the door click shut and I look up "mm?" and I realise that Ev is no longer in the room anymore. I turn back around and face my computer screen continuing to type out the rest of my assignment so that I can submit it tonight. She's right, I have been studying all day but I want to make sure that I am ahead of all my assignments and not behind this year. 

After a couple of more hours I decide to take a break from studying. I go and lay down on my bed and check my socials out. An alert for my emails goes off and I make my way back over to my laptop. My eyes immediately bulge out of my head and I sit down quickly opening the email. "Dear Ms Meadows, it is with great pleasure to announce to you that we have accepted your submission to intern at Sloane & Pratt...." 

Sloane & Pratt is one of the biggest leading Law firms in Atlanta and it has been my goal to work there. I have applied for the last three years however with the amount of applicants it has been hard to be accepted. This year was my last year before trying some smaller firms, I never thought my dream would come true. I quickly type out a reply accepting the position and asking a few details so that I can prepare myself for the first day. I pick my cell phone up and dial my Mom's number to tell her the exciting news. 

"Hello?" she says. 

"Hey Mom!" I try to contain my enthusiasm "Guess what! I just got accepted for an internship at Sloane & Pratt!"

"Oh darling, that is wonderful news. I am so proud of you and all your hard work sweetie. You're going to do great" her words of encouragement mean the world to me. Since I no longer have contact with my father, my mother has been a huge support in getting me where I am today. It took her a little while to accept the fact that I would be moving out of Savannah to go to College in Atlanta and live on campus but she finally gave in one night at dinner when I sat down with her with a two page debate, including rebuttals, outlining all the reasons why I should be allowed to go. After that, she had no reason to refuse. 

Evelyn walks back into the room a bit before dinner and I am laying on my bed reading through the reply from Sloane & Pratt. 

"Please tell me you're still not studying" she rolls her eyes and sits on her bed on the other side of the room. 

"Not exactly... I've actually been waiting for you to come home to tell you the exciting news" I sit up and hold my phone up to show her the email from Sloane & Pratt. 

"You got in! Aw I'm so happy for you Mils!" she stands and gives me a big hug. Other than my mom, Evelyn has been great support as well, even though she does get annoyed when I spend too much time studying. Evelyn and I have been best friends since High School and I don't know what I would have done without her when I was going through the tough period with my dad. I was nervous for college, I didn't know what would of happened if we didn't get accepted into the same one. Her marks aren't as high as mine and she falls behind in class sometimes but I know she is doing the best she can. 

"When do you start?" 

I check my phone again and re-read the following email they sent me "Uh looks like I start next Monday". 

"We should go out this weekend and celebrate your success!" she puts her hand up to silence me "And before you even try and get out of it, i'm not taking 'no' for an answer. You have nothing holding you back, you've got great marks and after today you wont need to study for a week" she walks towards her closet and starts going through potential outfits, pulling out her favourite dresses one by one and holding them up in front of her chest in the mirror. 

I shrug my shoulders and sigh "I guess we could". I've never been a big party goer, occasionally Ev manages to convince me its a good idea but I soon regret it the next day and I have a feeling this is going to be another one of those times. 

"Great, we should go shopping tomorrow. I don't have the right outfit in mind for you to wear"
I look towards her overflowing closet and one piece stands out "What about this?" I say as I pull out the blue lace pencil dress.

She grabs it from my hand and holds it up in front her and says "you're not going to a wedding Amelia" I roll my eyes "I'm thinking something more hot and glamorous, something that will turn heads" she giggles. I surrender in defeat, accepting the fact that there is no way I'm going to be choosing what I will be wearing this weekend.