chapter 1

When you're going asleep, can you ever really tell if you're getting closer to falling asleep or if you're just laying there with your eyes closed until right before the sleep takes you in.

I always wondered why sleeping happens the way it does. It's like a recharge for your body I guess...

But is there anything else that can recharge your body in the way sleep can? And I'm not talking bout a can of Monster or a Five Hour Energy. Like something that can recharge your body without it being harmful in some way shape or form?

Not really... but you know what'll keep you up?

Drugs.

You know what'll also keep you down if you don't use them responsibly?

Drugs.

I know cause I'm one of the people it kept down.

"I'm... Rue Bennett. And I'm a addict." I said quietly into the mic.

I was on a stage in front of everyone in the same facility as me.

"Hi, Rue." Everyone mumbled.

"Why don't you tell us why you're here, baby?" One of the ladies in charge asked.

How do I go about this? Do I lie, do I tell the truth, or do I glaze over the truth?

"Um, I ODed." I said. "And the doctors thought this would be a good solution for the time period."

"And what do you plan to accomplish in your time here?" She asked again.

How to not go fucking crazy.

"How to live life soberly, I guess."  I said.

With that I got off the stage and sat were I sat before they called me on stage. This whole thing is stupid, but I can't say that or else they'll strike back and put me in the crazy house.

"You look like you don't wanna be here." I hear someone say from behind me. "And you sure as hell sounded like it."

I turn around to see this guy who can't be much older than me. So who the fuck is he to tell me what I look like.

I smirk sarcastically, "Thanks, I like to paint the perfect picture of my misery."

He chuckles. "No you don't." He said back. "That's why you're here now."

Looking at him, I raise my eyebrow, and he sits back in his chair like he just cracked the code of life.

"You don't know me." I said.

"You right, but you don't know me either." He replied.

I turned around to him. "And I don't want to change that."