Chapter 40: A Ticket

Start from the beginning

"How do you get a zero on an assignment when the odds are in the back of the book?"

My face flared red. "I copied down the wrong answers on accident," I muttered.

Comrade laughed to himself. "That would do it."

Sucking in my lips, I glanced over at him. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

"I do. His names Ricky, and we've almost been together for a year now." He smiled to himself. "You want to know something funny."

"What?"

"Even if your mom hadn't mentioned it; I would have know."

"No, you won't. The whole gaydar thing is a lie."

"Nothing to do with a gaydar," he gave me a smirk. "See that guy over there."

I glanced at the large boy with a football jersey on. He was alway here during the same hours as me.

"For the last three weeks, while you've been persistently ignoring me, you've been staring at his ass."

I sat up straight and hushed him. "Don't say that out loud," I hissed. I glanced over my shoulder, but no one was looking at us.

Picking up his glass, he slipped them back into place. "The I suggested you pay more attention, Mr. Perri. You never know what might slip out accidently."

***

My heart was pounding as Mr. Phillips wandered about the room, passing out our last test. If I didn't at least get a B, my dad was upping tutoring hours. Comrade was an alright guy, but three days a week, plus the extra work he assignment was plenty. I didn't want nor need anymore homework.

The teacher set the paper down on the desk next to me. I saw the flash of red reading 76. My head hit the desk. I failed. If she got a C on the test, then I failed.

I could sense Mr. Phillips was standing at my side. I raised my head and received a smile. He must have realized how pathetic this all looked. At least he was showing me some sympathy.

"Nice work, Aden." He handed me the paper.

I stared at the 84 circled at the top. I passed. I passed a math test!

For the first time probably since sixth grade, I got a B!

"Thank god," I whispered, finally able to relax.

He finished handing out the test, and soon after, the bell rang.

I gathered up my things.

"Aden, can you come here for a second?"

I grabbed my bookbag and walked to the front. Maybe it was a typo. He probably wrote down the wrong grade.

He smiled at me. I simply stood there awkwardly.

"You're improving. Your hard work is showing, and I wanted to give you this, so your parents knew as well." He handed me a yellow envelope. "I finished grading all you re-done assignments. Keep it up, and you may actually pass."

I let out the breath I was holding and nodded. "Thank you."

"Better hurry to lunch." He waved me off.

I bolted out the door and went to my locker. I was actually going to make it through high school. After putting my things away, I found a spot in the empty parts of the school and sat down on a bench to eat my lunch. I nibbled on my sandwich as I flipped through all the homework papers. Mostly B's with a few C's, but for me, this was amazing.

Hearing voices, I stuffed everything in my bag and hurried to eat the rest of my food. I had just finished when Chris and his football friends turn the corner. The looks they gave me weren't nice, but they all gathered around one of their lockers talking amongst themselves. I tossed my lunch bag in a garbage can and quietly slipped past them.

"Hey, Aden."

I froze and peeked back at them. "Yeah."

Chris nodded toward me. "Come here."

I walked closer, but left a big enough gap between us, so I could still make a run for it.

He held up a ticket to a local teen concert hall. Random bands trying to establish a name usually played there. "Do you want it?"

Doubt my mother would let me go. According to her, people only went there so they could get into trouble. I gripped my backpack strap tightly. "Why are you giving it to me?"

He shrugged. "No one else wants it. So either you can take it, or I'll throw it away. I don't want to waste it, Aden."

"Okay." I took it from him. "Thanks." I turned and hurried off.

I looked over the ticket. It was Saturday. I had tutoring, so if he asked me how it was I can use that as an excuse. I cursed to myself. I was a idiot for even taking it. Why did Chris have to ruin my one good day and give me something else to worry about?