Chapter 45: I Never Said

Chapter 45

I Never Said

I walked down the hall toward my locker. Eyes followed me. My face was still bruised, so it was normal for them to stare. Thankfully, my chipmunk days were over. Opening my locker, I shoved my backpack inside. I reached for my book, but my arm was yanked back. Chris pulled me away from the locker and slammed it shut.

“Bathroom now, faggot.” He shoved me forward.

I stumbled forward, before heading down the hall. I glanced back at Chris. He was wearing a sweatshirt, but the discoloration on his neck could still be seen. The bruise on his jaw was a deep purple with the edges turning green. At least, mine didn’t look that bad. Titus sure did hit him hard.

We entered the bathroom. Chris kicked the door shut and moved a trash can in front of it.

I stood by the sinks, staring at the line of urinals against the wall. All I had to do was play it off like Titus said. Deny everything. I took a deep breath to prepare myself.

“What is he?” Chris snapped.

“Who?” I replied, with a shrug.

“That freak you were hanging out with during the summer.”

I shook my head. “I don’t know who you’re talking about.”

Chris charged. He grabbed the front of my shirt and slammed me against a stall. I stood frozen, my heart rate spiking.

“Playing stupid one more time, and I’ll knock you face in,” he hissed.

I swallowed hard. “What do you want, Chris?” I whispered.

“Titus,” he breathed. “You called that thing Titus. Katy saw you leave Base Acid with that guy you brought to my house. He’s name was Titus.”

“Yeah,” I replied trying to sound casual. “He was there.” I forced myself to make eye contact. Confidence, be confident, and he’ll believe it. “He did that to you.” I pointed to his face. “Punch you so hard, he knocked you out.”

Chris narrowed his eyes at me, but didn’t make another move. “Who is he?”

“My boyfriend,” I replied. I was surprising had easy it slipped out. I could do this. “And he wanted to me tell you,” I grabbed his wrist and shoved him back. “touch me again, and he’ll do worse.”

Chris kept his ground, staring at me. “Boyfriend?” he hissed. “I knew gays were freaks.”

“I’ll tell him you think so,” I shot back.

“I know what I saw, Aden. If you think you can threaten me, I have something on you. Maybe I should tell people you’re dating a deranged dog.”

I smiled to myself. “Deranged dog?” I played off. “He must have hit you pretty hard.”

“He attacked me,” Chris yanked the neckline of his hoodie. “That monster did this.”

I shrugged. “Titus is a big guy. Hell, I watched him do it. I just don’t remember seeing a dog. You probably had too much to drink, Chris.”

“I didn’t drink that night.” He slammed his fist on the stall above my head.

Flinching, I scooted to the side. “Does it matter,” I said softly, trying to remain composed. “You’re drunk all the time, why would anyone believe you. I don’t. There’s no such thing as werewolves, so you should just forget it.”

Chris backed away and gave me a confused look.

I held my head high. “You were the one to attack me first. If I went to the principal and told him what you did, I won’t be the one suspended this time. And I wasn’t lying about Titus. Touch me again, and he’ll do worse.”

He scooted back and leaned against the wall.

“So if you forget about this, then I will. Simple as that.” I marched over and moved the garbage can. I pulled open the door.

“Aden.”

I stopped and looked back at him.

“I never said it was a werewolf.”

My chest tightened. I cursed at myself in my head and stared at the ground. “Well neither did I,” I replied quickly, before exiting the bathroom.

I hurried back to my locker, occasionally glancing back. Chris hadn’t appeared yet though. I was so close to fixing everything, and I had to say that. Reaching my locker, I bounced my forehead against the metal. It was okay though. No one would believe him. Just looking at the size of Titus, everyone would be convinced he cause those bruises. We were safe. Everything was going to be fine.

***

It's short but it's something :P