Part 3

You didn't sleep that night. At all.
If it wasn't the throbbing pain in your ankle that kept you awake, it were your neverending worries about the quest. Whoever was unlucky enough to be on "Y/N-duty", was going to be a living target. With no free hands, they didn't have any chance to defend themselves if they were under attack.
You couldn't live with yourself if something were to happen to anyone in the company. Fíli or Kíli in particular.

You sighed, and your eyes automatically wandered to the two sleeping princes. There was no denying that you liked them both, though each in a different way.
Kíli turned into your best friend almost immediately after you met him. He liked to joke around, didn't take everything that seriously but had your back nonetheless. You'd feel sorry for anyone who would try to harm you, almost certain that Kíli would annihilate them without a second thought.
His brother Fíli was something else entirely. You joked around as well, often together with Kíli, and you knew he would go to the end of Arda for you if he had to and would also gladly destroy anyone who would even consider hurting you. But there was something else. Something you didn't have with Kíli.
Because Kíli didn't make your cheeks flush when he changed shirts or flexed his muscles. When he rolled up his tunic sleeves and you could see the veins on his forearms your breath didn't hitch. Your stomach didn't flip every time he sat next to you or gave you a lopsided smile.
But with Fíli, it did...
Kíli stirred in his sleep, which pulled you out of your thoughts. The last thing you wanted was someone catching you staring at them.
Come on, Y/N, you thought, there's no time for self discovery. Sleep!

When the dwarves and Bilbo woke up the next morning, you were still sitting half upright against your rock, eyes wide open.
Fíli rubbed his face with both hands, trying to get rid of the sleep. His eyes traveled to your figure and he frowned. It didn't look like you had the best night.
He watched you take a plate with breakfast from Ori, smiling politely but wincing when you adjusted your position. He hated to see you in pain.

When Thorin announced you would take your leave, he and Kíli made their way towards you. "Ready to go?" he asked.
"Well, I wanted to do my morning run before we left but I guess that'll have to wait now," you sighed and broke out into a broad smile when you saw his stunned face.
"How do you want to do this? Do I still carry that myself?" You pointed to your pack.
But Fíli didn't want to waste any more time, seeing most of the company had already left. He scooped you into his arms like you weighed nothing, and Kíli took your pack.
"Already taken care of, mimûna, do not worry," he smiled.

Not worrying was easier said than done. Being in his arms meant that you couldn't possibly be closer to him than you were.
You had a really hard time trying to control your heartbeat, convinced Fíli could hear how it practically hammered out of your chest. If he did, he didn't say anything about it.
It was a bit awkward at first too, you didn't know where to look. Your position allowed you to watch his face the entire time, and as much as you would want to do just that - admiring the depth of his blue eyes, the crinkles around those eyes when he laughed, his jawline and those lips, easy Y/N, get it together! - you couldn't do that.
So you kept your eyes fixed on the ground or on Kíli's back who was walking right in front of you.

Fíli didn't talk much, always looking ahead. Which you thought was odd because before your injury, when you walked with him he barely kept his mouth shut. Did he regret his decision?

"If- If you want to take a break, I could try and see if I can walk for a while?" you tried.
He blinked rapidly with his eyes, like you just pulled him out of a daydream, and looked at you questioningly.
"You don't want me to carry you anymore?"
"No, I mean... I do! But you know, I might get too heavy after a while, or... I don't know," you murmured the last part silently. Fíli scoffed and lifted you above his head before he snuggled you against his chest again.
"I can do this all day, mimûna. You worry too much."
You felt the blush rise again. How was it possible that the nickname still had this effect on you after all this time? It took you ages and a lot of threatening before Kíli finally told you what it meant, since you didn't know any Khuzdûl.
Luckily the colouring of your cheeks went unnoticed.

After a while, the lack of sleep was starting to get to you. Fíli's warmth combined with the gentle rocking of his footsteps made it very difficult for you to keep your eyes open. You jawned multiple times before you felt yourself slipping away.

It didn't take long before Fíli felt the weight of your head on his chest, eyes closed and your hands still in your lap. He adjusted his hold on you and shifted your body a little, so your neck would be in a better angle.
Kíli looked behind him and smirked. "Were you that boring?"
He didn't react, letting his brother have his fun.
If he had to admit, he found it oddly comforting to hold you this close, knowing he was the one who was protecting you. The words of his Uncle suddenly came to mind, and his mood changed.
For some reason he didn't look forward to you being in someone else's arms.

When the sun was just about set, Thorin made the company halt for the night. He didn't let them take a break during the day, not even for lunch, so to say everyone was relieved was an understatement. Everyone, except Fíli. If he was honest, he liked to have you in his arms and was rather reluctant to let you go.

You had only just woken up a few moments before and were still a bit groggy. While you rubbed the sleep out of your eyes, Fíli lowered you gently to the ground and let himself fall down next to you.
"Thank you," you muttered with a small smile and he chuckled. You were too adorable when you were sleepy.
"Anytime, mimûna."
"How many times do I have to tell you! I'm taller than you..." you laughed, shoving his arm playfully. "You need to think of a new nickname!"
The both of you looked up when Kíli dropped your pack at your feet.
"Your luggage, my lady," he greeted you, doing an exaggerated curtsy.
You rolled your eyes. "I'm not calling you a lord, Kee. Forget it."
"Of course not," he smirked, opening his arms and puffing his chest. "Because I'm a prince!"
"Prince or not, you can go and wet this cloth for Y/N's ankle," Oin appeared behind him, handing him a large piece of fabric before he turned his attention to you.
"Let's take a look at that ankle of yours, okay lass?"

When he took the bandage of your ankle, you heard Fíli suck in a breath. Your ankle was twice the normal size, a dark almost black bruise going from your foot to halfway up your leg.
"Y/N..." Fíli breathed, eyes full of worry.
"When Kíli gets back, we can take care of the swelling," Oin tried to comfort you, although you had the impression he was saying it more for Fíli's sake than yours.

By the time Kíli came back with the cloth, you were eating dinner and everyone had come to check on you at least twice. Fíli hadn't left your side. Their kindness didn't surprise you - after all they had been nothing but kind to you in the past. But it still warmed your heart.
"Took you long enough," Oin said, taking over the wet cloth.
"It took me a while to find a river and I-", he said, his voice caught in his throat when he saw your ankle. Just like his brother, he looked at you with worried eyes. "And I uhm, I had to find something to carry water back here. When the cloth turns warm, you can cool it down again."
"Good thinking, lad," Oin complimented him.
"You went through all of that trouble for me?"
Kíli looked at you, and winked. "Anything for you, Y/N."
He didn't miss the hard look his brother threw him.

Oin placed the cold, wet cloth on your ankle and you sighed contentedly.
"Feels good?" Fíli asked. You hummed, eyes closed.
"Leave it until it turns warm. I'll come back later to check on you," Oin instructed, and he went back to the other side of camp to finish his dinner.
Kíli sat down next to his brother, and elbowed his side.
"Heard that? I made her feel good," he whispered.
The others all looked up when Fíli smacked the back of his brother's head, chuckling at their antics.
"The future pride of Erebor," Dwalin grumbled, shaking his head.