(6) I love you

Click clack. Click clack.

You sat at your desk in front of your computer, typing away an essay for university. You'd been sitting there for hours, working without breaking in between.

You decided to peel your eyes away from your computer screen for a couple minutes and check the time.

6:45

'Fuck.' You thought. You were late. Your boyfriend, Alex, had told you the day before and that very morning that he had something special planned for you two that evening; specifically saying not to be late.

You groaned, practically face-palming yourself for letting time pass you by, guilt instantly washing over you. You decided to call him. But when you did, he didn't pick up. So instead, you sent him a message.

Me:
Hey babe, I'm so so sorry I'm late, I've been super busy with university. I'm on my way to your place now.

Delivered ✔

You quickly packed up your stuff, running to your car and driving to Alex's house. Once you got there, you knocked on the door, hoping you didn't soil his plans too badly.

"Its open." You heard a low voice call out. You groaned, knowing you messed up his plans. You opened the door and dropped your stuff next to the door.

There he was, sitting on the settee alone, watching a boring channel on the telly. He looked disappointed. As if it were possible, more guilt smacked you in the face.

"Oh Al..." you walked over to him and sat next to him. He barely acknowledged you. You bit your bottom lip, wondering what to do. "I'm sorry Al. I really am. Honestly, I've just been so stressed with university, I'm trying to get this impossible assignment done. I-I just let the time pass me by. We can still do what you were wanting to do."

He glanced at you and shook his head. "Its too late, its gone cold." He motioned to the smaller dining room in his flat. You got up and went to look.

He'd cooked. He cooked, and it looked quite amazing actually. A fancy-looking pasta you didn't know the name of, veggies, and chicken. "Holy... oh Alex I'm so sorry." You about burst in tears.

Trying hard to hold them back so you wouldn't make him feel bad you went back to him and hugged him tightly, though he barely put his arm around you. "Alex, I'm so sorry, I can't believe you did that for me." You said, your voice wavering against your will.

But it did not go unnoticed by Alex. His entire demeanor changed, he looked down at you and cupped your face, making you look at him as he brushed hair out of your face. "What's wrong?" He asked quickly, searching your face.

"It's just-" you had to take a deep breathe before continuing to keep from crying. "You worked so hard to cook for me and I just-" you sniffled a bit, a couple tears leaving your eyes. "I'm sorry, Al I didn't mean to spend so much time at university, honestly, I'm so-"

He cut you off with a kiss. Short, but passionate. Once he pulled away, he wiped your tears gently with his thumb. "It's alright. Don't worry, I know you've been stressed. I'm sorry for being stubborn earlier." He said quietly.

You shook your head, understanding where he was coming from. "It's okay, I understand. I'm sorry your plans are ruined." You buried your face into his chest, sniffling still. He chuckled lightly.

"We can microwave it. No worries." He said as he caressed your head gently. He kissed the top of your head repeatedly. Without thinking, you said "Thank you Al. I love you."

You didn't realize what you'd said until he stiffened. Then it hit you. That was the very first time you'd said it. 'I love you.' He hadn't said it yet either. Your head whipped up quickly and you gasped, covering your mouth as if you could take back the words.

Alex looked at you with an unreadable face. "Oh I-I'm so sorry, is it too soon? It's too soon isn't it? It's okay if you don't love me, I-" you rambled on, but not long before he cut you off.

"Do you mean it?" There was no doubt about it, of course you did. You'd been dating for about 6 months now, but maybe it was too soon? You were scared of what his response was going to be, but you couldn't lie to him. Especially not about this.

You nodded slowly, keeping your eyes on his. He blinked a couple times and smiled. It quickly turned into laughter. 'Is he laughing at me?' You think. You felt like you were going to cry again.

He hugged you tightly and kissed you. "I love you too y/n." He said and leaned his forehead against yours. You smiled like an idiot. "Really?!"

He nodded quickly and smiled too. "Alex Turner loves me?" He laughed and nodded. "And I can't believe Y/n Y/l/n loves me!" He hugged you tightly again, both of you giddy.

You kept your eyes locked on his. You kissed him again and took his hand, leading him to the kitchen. "This calls for a food celebration." You smiled as he followed suit.

A/N: This was proper shite, I dearly apologize, but I tried.