0. prologue

PROLOGUE

。゚☆: *. .* : ☆゚.

The moon shied away from Black Manor, not daring to creep through the slightly cracked windows. The air smelt of anticipation, readying itself for another brawl between an uncompliant daughter and furious father. Even the very few stars that decorated the sky glimmered, they glimmered with nothing but hope. They prayed that perhaps there'd be a small chance that Cygnus Black would leave his eldest daughter alone. Still, the stars glistened, and the moon vanished, not wanting to witness Cygnus' impending wrath.

Even the thought of Cygnus leaving his daughter alone was foolish. She needed to be put in her place as a woman, and it was he who had to put her there as her father. She was a disgrace to her bloodline, soon to be eighteen and not even betrothed. This was unusual for a girl in their family, especially when it came to first borns.

Being the first-born daughter in a pureblooded family meant she was supposed to marry a man with the highest status. She should've snagged herself a Lestrange by now, or maybe even a Carrow, but with Ella it seemed like it would possibly never happen.

Both Cygnus and Druella were immensely embarrassed that their eldest had not yet met a potential suitor; even their youngest had. Two of their four children were practically already engaged. Bellatrix and Rodolphus Lestrange had been betrothed basically since they were both in nappies. Andromeda was never one to worry about, she was a charming girl that would have no trouble finding a good man. Although it was unbeknownst to her parents that she'd already met that man, he just so happened to be a Ravenclaw muggleborn. Then Narcissa had made it her duty to weasel herself into the life of none other than Lucius Malfoy, her parents were ecstatic, as were his.

Druella Black II hadn't always been a troublesome child, she was once filled with class and elegance. Even named after her own mother due to both her parents feeling like she deserved to be. As she grew older though, her mother wished she could take her name back and perhaps give it to a more worthy child such as Narcissa.

Cygnus had quite adored Ella as a child, she was his princess and although part of him resented that she wasn't a boy—an heir—he moved on, realising she wouldn't be his only child. Druella never cared much for her daughter, she saw her flaws even as a young child. Perhaps the breaking point was Ella being sorted into Ravenclaw, breaking the long lineage of Blacks to be placed in Slytherin. Although she still stuck to pureblood circles, her best friends being Maryanne Parkinson and Eugene Avery. She ran from what could've been future husbands, such as the wretched Cassar Carrow her parents seemed to love.

Cygnus and Druella had favourites, it was no secret. Ella, though being screamed at most of the time, happened to be Cygnus' favourite, of course along with little Narcissa. He supposed Andromeda was his least favourite, she was much too kind. Ella was her mother's least favourite, that wasn't a shock to anyone.

"I'm sick of this!" Cygnus shouted, at such a loud volume that the room seemed to shake. "You will find a man and you will get married at once!" He desperately needed her to, her not being engaged was having an impact on his social status. All people asked him was why his beautiful daughter roamed Hogwarts with a bare ring finger.

Ella's face was flushed red with anger. She couldn't comprehend the rush; she was barely eighteen. "Why? I'm not even finished school!" One thing her parents did appreciate was her determination toward education. She rather enjoyed learning.

"Nonsense! Your mother and I got engaged in fifth year," he seethed, spit flying out of his mouth, which sprouted nothing but sexism. "And by eighteen we were married, nineteen and you were on the way! You should be happy to carry on the family legacy, to give me grandchildren!"

"Grandchildren?!" She questioned, smoke propelling from her ears and disappearing into the warmth of the room. "I don't want to find a stupid boy, Papa!" She didn't quite register the words leaving her mouth until it was too late. Her father could have a nasty, cruel temper when she pushed him too far. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to fight with you," she rushed out, "I'll do what you said. I'll go back to school and I'll find a man." Definitely a lie, but she needed to soften whatever punishment she was about to get.

A burn spread across her cheek, reaching up to her eyes, which were teary and river-like—ready to flow at any second. Her hand reached for her cheek, which was glowing a hot shade of red. Cygnus had slapped her, and she was grateful for it. Yes, it had hurt, but she'd remember receiving worse punishments for lesser things. She'd recalled enduring a beating due to eating too much cake on her fourteenth birthday. To be so merciful was uncharacteristic of her father.

"Good girl," he spat, watching the colour drain from her chocolate eyes. He was doing this for her own good. "You'll do exactly as you said," he told her sternly. His eyes turned soft, only to be manipulative. "We've been very generous your mother and I. Our marriage was arranged as I'm sure a lot of your friends' will be," he spoke will a gentle tone, "I'm giving you the option to pick your husband for yourself." From a very limited circle, she thought. "But disobey me again, Ella and that option will cease to be available." Then he left, just like the gentle edge to his vice mere moments ago.

She frowned, biting down on her bare lips. She tried not to cry; she still had a while to devise a plan. Maybe she'd find a boy she liked on an off chance, who knew?

"El," a quiet voice called out, tugging on her arm. "Are you okay?" She was met with blue pools of concern and kindness.

"Cissy? What are you doing awake?" She asked her youngest sister, worrying that their mother or father would catch the younger girl up past bedtime.

Narcissa shrugged, her worry never leaving her features, "I heard shouting, I came to see if you were alright."

Ella blanketed the girl with her touch, taking her into a comforting hug. It was more a motherly gesture than a sisterly one, that's how Narcissa had always known her older sister—a second mother. "Don't you worry about me," she whispered into Narcissa's soft hair.

"Do you think I could stay with you tonight?" Narcissa questioned. "I asked Bella if I could sleep in her room earlier, but she kicked me out."

"She's a moody brat," Ella rolled her eyes, causing a giggle to escape from Narcissa. "Of course, you can, Cissy. Afterall, starting your first year tomorrow requires a good amount of beauty sleep."

"And you! You'll be in your seventh." Her mood turned somber, "I can't believe we only get one year at Hogwarts together."

"I know, but we'll make it a good year," Ella promised, turning the light off.

"Then you'll be gone," the girl frowned, though soon her eyes filled with excitement. "But then you'll be in love and have a family, be a mother."

Ella grimaced, laying down beside her youngest sister, muttering so she couldn't be heard, "hopefully not."

NOTE;
hope my writings improved lads xx