Chapter 1

THE BEGINNING

Date: March 17th, 1992

I'm done, everything hurts, and I don't think I can go on for much longer. The growls are too much, the screaming, shouting, and loud bangs from the heaters are impaling my head with a stabbing pain. It hurts, it hurts a lot.

I got jumped a few days ago by some stragglers, they took everything, from my water to even my bandanna, everything. There wasn't much that I could do after that, other than sit there, let them beat me up, and take my stuff. I am bruised and hurt. You see in this world everybody takes everything from everyone, that's just the way things are around here.

While I was walking on the squidgy, wet dirt road, I was thinking. "What if everything went back to the way it

was.'' "What if I could see my family again my friends, my mum my dad and my little sister". Beth was her name, she was my best friend and yeah, we fought but who doesn't. I got put into a camp about a year ago, been here ever since the breakout. Our leader, Carol Williamson, is snobby, rude, and quite bitchy she hits us and tortures us if we do something wrong, like the time I had to go on a supply run with Li, we were supposed to bring back a certain amount of stuff, I didn't, and she beat me. She broke one of my ribs and sent me to solitude, I was 13 back then, she really messed me up, that's not all she did, she then locked me in a cage, left me in the woods for days, with no food, no water, no nothing. The things, the things in the woods, the monsters outside camp scream and growl like dogs.

Jacob, my best friend since grade-school who is amazing and I wouldn't trade him for the world, risked his life for me to stay alive, he would bring me food and made sure I didn't crumble or go insane in that cage. If Carol had found out he would've been executed in front of everyone including me.

He knew the consequences but did it anyway, that's just the kind of person Jacob is. He came to my tent the other day with some soup and stood at the door. The sun, beaming through onto his reddish blondish hair. He came over and sat beside me and it was only then that I noticed how beautiful his blue and green eyes were, they just sparkled like stars in the night sky.

But now...I lay on the cold, hard, concrete floor with one hand on my pounding head and one on my bruised, beaten stomach.

Let's start from the beginning....

Jacob and I needed to get out. Get out of the old, disgusting yellow classroom and the town, we are the only ones here, everyone left in a hurry, we did the smart thing, well I think it's the smart thing, we sat under a table and stayed as quiet as we possibly could.

Screaming and gunshots echoed throughout the school hallways, Jacob looked at me and I looked at him, he looked terrified and hopeless

"Erin what if we don't make it out of here," he asked, with his trembling voice. We thought it was a shooting and I felt worried and scared but tried not to show it at that moment. I put my hand on his shoulder and stared into his eyes

"Don't think about that now, okay." I said to reassure him, he slowly nodded his head yes.

Suddenly someone comes storming into the room, out of breath, panting, and probably tired, sounded like they were running for a while. I started to feel a shiver down my spine and sort of cry in fear but try not to make a sound, there was something banging at the door smudging blood on the window while the person was trying to barricade it with anything they got, tables, chairs, hell they even got the globe from teacher's desk, anything they could lay a hand on. I was sure it was a girl from the breathing and stuff but really had no idea.