Chapter 2

Katie's P.O.V

I sat at my desk, the next day, filling out some forms. It was another day with not much to do.
I sighed, just as I heard the elevator doors opening.

I looked down the hall, seeing it was Mr Taylor. I grabbed the phone, and dialled for Tony, who was in his office.
"Hello?" He answered.
"Sir, Mr Taylor is here." I told him.
"Let him in." Tony hung up.
I put the phone down and grabbed my pen.

I was expecting Nigel to walk straight passed me, but he didn't. Just as my pen met the paper, a hand was place on my desk, and he stood looking at me.
I looked up at him, surprised. "Uh, Mr Hadley is in his office. You can go right in." I told him.
"Did you win?" He asked me.
"Sorry?" I asked him.
"Did you win your game of Bullshit?" He smiled at me.
He saw me? He was at the pub? Oh, God... I could lose my job...
He chuckled and walked into the office.

I watched him go, speechless. I was doomed.
I dropped my pen and grabbed my phone. I dialled Andy, as I knew he was home right now.
"Hey-O!" He smiled, sounding like his mouth was full.
"Mate, I'm so going to lose my job! Mr Taylor saw us at the pub!" I gushed out.
"OH-FU-" Andy paused, his mouth sounding very full. "Are you alright? You need me to come get you?!" He swallowed his food.
"No... I've not been fired yet... Listen, I'll call you when I get home, no matter what happens." I had to hang up, knowing any minute Tony will call me into his office.
"OK. Listen, we all love you. You are a superstar and so fucking good at Cheat!" Andy sounded sincere.
"Thanks. Love ya too!" I hung up.
I steadied my breathing, waiting for the call.

Five minutes... Ten minutes... Fifteen minutes... Twenty minutes...

Finally, John walked out the office and smiled to me. "See you." He walked down the hall.
Was he serious? Was he mocking me? What the fuck was that?!
I finished my paperwork and the call never came. I made it through the whole day... Did he not tell Tony I was in the pub?

. . .

I got home, finding Andy and Belle hanging outside my London apartment.
"Hey!" Belle came and hugged me, as soon as she saw me.
"Did they fire you? What happened?" Andy took my jacket and bag, as I unlocked my door.
I let the couple in and told them everything.

"He never speaks to me. I didn't even know he knew I was there! He comes over and stops at my desk, asking me if I won the game. I lost all my words. He chuckled at me, goes into the office, which is when I rung you, Andy, then I'm waiting for the call and get nothing! Then- when he walks out, he says 'See you'... What the fuck?!" I looked at them, as Belle and I sat on the couch and Andy sat on the coffee table, sat opposite me.
"Katie... I think things are getting a bit... Deep?" Andy tried to find the right word, being gentle about it.
"What do you mean?" I asked him.
"Katie, you're in love with the guy. You freak out every time he walks by, like I do with Andy." Belle nodded to Andy, who looked at her surprised, subconsciously sitting up, as if saying 'I've still got it'. "It's been ten years..."
"I know what you're going to say... 'There's a whole world happening, as we speak'." I sighed. "I know there is... Should I hand in my resignation?" I asked, unsure.
"Maybe so... There's a spot going at Mel's place. The leisure centre is pretty fun, if I'm honest. I was there for five years." Andy smiled. He's a producer now, working for a record label.
"You guys are right... I'll sort it out for Monday." I lay back on my couch.

. . .

The weekend flew by. I spoke to Mel and she was happy to take me on. Martin helped with my resignation, now all I had to do was hand it in, and I was done. Goodbye, Nigel John Taylor...

I held the slip in my hands, taking a steady breath, before I knocked on Tony's door.
"Come in!" I heard from inside.
I opened the door, stepping in, seeing only Nigel, sat at Tony's desk, with no Tony.
"Ah, hello!" Nigel smiled, sitting back, smoking a cigar.
"Hello, Mr Taylor. Is Mr Hadley here?" I asked him, surprised to see him.
"No, he's in an emergency meeting. Is there anything I can do for you?" He asked, motioning me over to the desk, with the middle and index fingers of his left hand.
I walked over and shook my head. "Uh, no. I was just going to hand this in." I held up the slip.
I placed it on the desk, away from Nigel, and smiled to him, before leaving the room.

I sat at my desk and took a deep breath. Maybe I should of held onto the slip, until Tony got back...
I bit my lip, jumping when the office door opened and Nigel looked at me.
"Come in here." He nodded into the office.
"O-of course." I got up and walked inside.
Nigel shut the door and turned to me.
"You're resigning?" He asked me.
"Well... Uh, yes." I didn't know what to say.
"Sit down." He nodded over at the desk.

I walked over and took a seat on one of the black swivel chairs.
Nigel sat in Tony's chair, my resignation unfolded, lying between us.
"Why?" He asked me, his full attention on me.
"Well, I've worked here for ten years now-"
"I know. I thought you liked it here." He caught me off guard. He noticed I was here?
I had no words...
"It's not up to me, as you don't work for me, but I'd like you to stay, if you can. Are you moving house? Have you got yourself another job?" Nigel asked me.
"No, no... I, uh... I just think it's time to move on." I was shocked.
"Well, it'll be a real shame to see you go. You're the only person in this place who can get my coffee right." Nigel frowned, his elbows on the desk, fingers linked, hands up by his face.
"I'll think it over..." I didn't know what to say.
"Please do." He slid my form back over to me.