Chapter 21: Hello Brother

Magsimula sa umpisa

"But not the party girl Allison." Mische said. "You don't look exactly the same with heavy eyeliners on, long fake lashes and red lips. And you don't even have to wear a dress because it's just a casual party. No dress codes."

I looked at my bestfriend, desperation obvious in her eyes. It was a known fact that Seth means a lot to her. I sighed. Well, if I'm fit for the job, then so be it.

"If you're go to send me into the battlefield," I said, watching as she wiped her tears with the back of her hand. "You have to lay out the plan for me."

"Really?" she breathed hoarsely, her eyes widening in surprise. "You would do this for me?"

"Yes." I sighed, resigned. "But I have to be in class by nine and then we'll see it from there."

I took the train to school. I have my driver's license with me but Jamie's car was in repair. He asked me, very nicely if he could use my silver Honda. I told him he could, and since then, I have no mode of transportation from buses, trains and cabs.

This day, I decided to take the train. It was a good way to lose myself in the crowd of people, to use their noise as a means of distraction from Bonnie Constantine's party tonight.

Truth be told, I don't know a thing about Bonnie, except that she's in the same college as my brother Jamie who told me how hot she was - red hair, tanned legs, bog boobs, firm ass and all those things that hardens a man's dick. Mische grudgingly showed me her Facebook profile picture obviously taken this summer. She was wearing a two-piece swimsuit, showing her flat stomach and long legs. I don't know how I can manage to keep an eye on her.

I entered the school grounds still thinking about how someone tanned could have a red hair and still don't looked like an overcooked hotdog. It was kind of hot today, I thought feeling my shirt sticking against my skin. Sometimes, I hate living in Portland.

"Excuse me?"

I looked over my shoulders, frowning and saw a really cute guy. Okay, now I was beginning to really like this day. Screw the evening, anyway.

"Hey." I said, flashing a smile. "Do you need something?"

"This college's pretty big." he said, shuffling his duffel bag from shoulder to shoulder. As he took some time looking around Oregon State, my eyes took their own time looking at him. It might actually do something good in my French class later.

The stranger looked tall and a bit skinny in his light blue button-down shirt, but not the gangly/lanky type. He has light brown messy hair, long crooked nose and thin lips. He was cute when he frowns and cuter when he smiles goofily. It was like sunshine, a breath of fresh air, a hope in the world of despair. Excuse me for being so poetic but his smile really reminds me of sunshine.

"I am kind of lost." he muttered shyly as pink tinges appeared on his cheeks. "I was just trying to find Betelguese Building for my schedule."

So, he was a new kid. Figured out why he doesn't look very familiar. Not that I have a very good photographic memory of everyone in school, but it's kind of hard to miss a face like his.

"I'm actually on my way there for my French class." I said, trying not to sound flirty or trying hard. "You can come with me if you'd like."

"You won't mind?" he asked and I shook my head. "Thanks, ugh ahm-"

"Allison." I said and he held his hand which I took with a smile. His hand was cold but he's got long fingers which were really nice.

"Allison." he repeated with a smile. "Nathaniel Payne, but you can call me Nate or Nicky."

There weren't a lot of Paynes in Portland. Some of the Paynes I knew back in middle school were either Adam's distant cousins or nieces and nephews.

"Are you kind of related to Adam Payne?" I can't help but ask.

Nathaniel's smile faded a bit.

"He's my step brother." he answered. "I knew he was kind of popular here, our dad says so."

"He is." I answered shortly, decided not to press the subject any more. I glanced at my watch awkwardly. Its thirty minutes before nine. I have to hurry so I can get better seats at the very back of the class. "Shall we?" I offered.

He nodded, frowning. And then he was smiling again.

During my French class, Margaux kept whispering using the corners of her mouth about how great the party was. The thing about Margaux was that, when you let her talk about herself, she won't ever get to ask you inappropriate questions like how Adam and I supposedly went into a fancy restaurant when we had actually spent the night naked on my bed. And so, she went in full details of her dress, the boys who dropped by and whom she made out with. It put her into a very good mood.

But in some way, I wanted her to shut up. I could really use some quiet right then because, how do I put this? My brain was spurting incoherent word from different voices at the same time. It was like there's a crowd in my brain that kept on talking and that there's no way I couldn't listen because it's all inside me.

I rubbed my temples, getting more and more tired.

"Have you heard about the Payne bastard coming over here all the way from New Jersey?" she asked in a tiny voice as she pretended to be writing her notes.

My ears perked up. Is she talking about Nathaniel Payne or is the world being dominated by Paynes or something? God, everything was starting to make my head ache. From Adam asking me chance, to Mische's cheating boyfriend, to the party I'm supposed to be getting ready after class and now, this Payne bastard. I wish I could see that guy again with his sunshine smile.

"What do you mean Payne bastard?"

"You know, an illegitimate child." she whispered. I rolled my eyes. Margaux can be a bit slow sometimes.

"I know what bastard means." I whispered back annoyingly. "But didn't you just say that a Payne bastard came all the way here from New Jersey?"

Margaux took a quick glance on our French professor who was still busy writing something on the white board before she leaned next to my seat, her left right cheek ridiculously close to my left.

"Adam's brother!" she whispered excitedly. "I mean, Adam's illegitimate, bastard brother had been spotted on the admission office claiming his schedule-"

Did she just used two similar words in one sentence?"

"-came in a bit late since the semester began a month ago but since he's a Payne, everybody could reconsider and voila! Another hot reason I should study in this college."