Inside was a chain bracelet with a blue charm, car keys, and a folded piece of paper. Feeling nervous for some reason, I unfolded the paper to see what it said.

"Hey, sweetheart. If you're reading this, it means you're awake. If you never woke up, I don't know what I'd do. You're probably confused, and I understand why. I'm sure the nurses told you that you haven't had any visitors. Well, you have. I might have snuck in a few times.

I want to come see you. Trust me, I really do. But I can't. Not anymore. After you were shot, I knew something had to be done. Jacob would come after you the moment he had the chance. So I did something for once. Seems you're good inspiration.

Anyway, I'm stalling. I struck a deal with the police. It was risky, considering I don't know who is in Jacob's pocket, but it worked. The Black Bands are currently being hunted down. They already found Jacob and his minions. But I am also a member. I've been arrested just the same as the others. I'm actually writing this in my holding cell at the court house.

Since I helped expose The Black Bands' operation, they offered me a good deal, meaning a lesser sentence. So don't worry about me. I'll be just fine.

You'll be fine too. Because of my work with the Bands I had a lot of money saved up, so I've already anonymously paid for your medical bills. And my motel wasn't burned down like Jacob wanted, so that can be your place until you graduate and land on your feet. So you get to have my bed after all.

In this box, you'll see a bracelet and keys. I know your birthday was a few days ago. I saw it on your calendar when you got drunk. The bracelet is for you. Happy eighteenth. As for the keys, you finally get your dream of driving my car. She's yours now that I'm locked away. It's behind the hospital.

I've gone on long enough, sorry about that. But I want to say something else. I'm glad I met you in that dumb warehouse. I can't imagine my life if I didn't. You brought me to life, Rylee. You were a brat and you challenged me the whole way, but I'm forever grateful for you. I'll admit you've won this last challenge. You took my heart first, so the victory is yours.

P.s. I left some money in the motel for you to buy your prize food. Take care of yourself, Rylee.

- Kason, aka Smokey.

I laughed slightly and released a breath as I finished reading it. I rubbed my eyes, which had gotten teary, and held the letter to my chest, swallowing past the lump in my throat. It might not have seemed like it to anyone else, but that letter was heartfelt and genuine. I felt eternal gratitude for him.

I'd had relationships before where I had to break up with someone after finding out they were really an ass in disguise. But with Kason it was the other way around. He was a sweet, thoughtful, and gentle guy under the disguise of a rude jerk.

I took the bracelet from the box and slipped it on, smiling at the raindrop shaped gem. It was a little hard to imagine Kason in a jewelry store searching for the perfect thing. But I enjoyed the thought anyway.

I grabbed the keys and couldn't help feeling a bit excited. I finally got to drive that beautiful car of his. But... I would be doing it without him. I didn't want to do anything without him. Yet there was really no other option.

"Thank you, Kason." I whispered.

* * *

I sat in Kason's car, watching the snow slowly fall from the sky. I did this often. It made it feel like I was closer to him, somehow. Like he was sitting here with me.

I got out of the hospital two weeks ago, and I adjusted to my new normal slower than I expected. I was living in the motel, alone for the first time. My body was still rather weak, and I had to be careful. And Kason was no longer around. The only thing that made it feel like he was there was when I used his soap.

It's one of the reasons I started doing this. His car held more of him than anything else. I had just left Anne's house after a Christmas party, and I hadn't bothered to go into the motel yet.

When I returned to school, Anne and Jackson were the only ones to come to me asking where I had been. I told them the general things, but kept things vague. They understood and offered any help they could give.

I appreciated them and their support. It was something I wasn't completely used to with friends. But that only meant they were truly friends. They were even understanding when I told them about Kason's arrest.

I was still having a bit of a hard time with that. Since Kason was involved with such a large criminal group, he wasn't allowed visitors. I found that out the day I got out of the hospital when I went to see him.

As for my foster parents, they were never found. Their disappearance was still under investigation, but I had a feeling The Black Bands had done away with them well enough for them to never be found. It was a horrible thing, but I knew it was probably true.

I felt quite alone. Everything changed so vastly so quickly, and the only person who completely understood what I went through, the only one I could truly talk to and count on, was locked away. And I still hadn't found out how long his sentence was.

I watched the snow outside, my heart quiet, but my mind busy. I would graduate in a few months and finally be free to take on the world. Before, I didn't care about what I did or where I went as long as I was free. But now, I had a path in mind, a goal I wanted to reach. There was a lot to do.

But I was going to be free.

--------------------

I freaking love this story. I thought I did before, but man! This was so much fun to write. I'll be putting up one more chapter. Hope you've enjoyed this journey with Kason and Rylee. Vote if you did. Thanks for reading (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.)