《︎𝘈𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘳'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝》︎

The big blue bus pulled up to Ren's stop, he was finally here. His new home. He stepped off and observed the small town he was in, he made his way down the street until home spotted his little cousins playing in a black convertible. One of them spotted him and yelled.

"Momma, it's Ren! He's here!" Ren smiled to himself as the girls jogged towards him, he quickly dropped his stuff and hugged them.

"Hey, girls. How you doing?" His aunt and uncle smiles as they approach him. "You guys are huge! Get off of me! Attack of the cousins!"

"Who'd you find, Amy?" He hears his aunt say. He quickly greets her and he sees his uncle.

"Hey, boy."

"Wesley." Ren says as he shakes Wesley's hand.

"You used to call me Uncky Wes. You too big in the britches for that now?" Wesley teases. His wife shakes her head before asking if they are hungry. Shortly after they go into the house and eat. They chat about grandma Esther and recipes. A little while later Wesley takes Ren into his office to talk to him and show him around.

"This used to be my office, but Lulu fixed her up for you. It's got all the essentials...water, power, bed." Ren looks down.

"Look, I appreciate what you've done here. Taking me in and all. There, at the end, the money you sent us... It really helped." Ren frowns when he thinks about his mom.

"I wish I could have done more." Wesley says giving Ren a sympathetic look. "Now, look... there's rules in my house. They're not written down, they're just common sense. Do your schoolwork. Don't stay out late, that's not just my rule, that's the law. And don't give people attitude. This ain't Boston." Wesley says.

"I really want to pull my own weight around here... Cooking meals, getting work, helping out." Ren says. Wesley nods.

"My buddy, Andy Beamis runs a cotton gin up on Chulahoma. He said you can start in the middle of next week." Ren groans to himself.

"Couldn't I work at the car lot with you? I'm good with engines, oil changes. That's how I made money back home." Wesley ignores him and says.

"In this economy, that's the best I got. I suggest you learn to love it. Come on." Ren huffs and follows him.

"How am I supposed to get to work and school? You got subways out here in Mayberry?" Wesley laughs.

"There's that Yankee sarcasm I've been hearing about. Wish it were funnier. OK. You say you're good with engines? I'll make you a deal." Ren looks to his uncle. "If you can get this baby running, she's all yours." Wesley yanks a cover off a car. Ren looks at the yellow bug his uncle unveiled and cringes to himself.

"This?" Wesley looks him dead in the eye.

"That's a bad-ass car, boy." Ren nods and goes to open one of the doors but it wouldn't budge.

"OK, OK. The door sticks. And the gas pedal's missing. A couple of the, uh... Hey, it's a fixer-upper" Ren nods in agreement. Ren starts to work on it.

After a little while he finally get it started up and running. He decides to go for a ride. He hears his cousins yelling and cheering him on as he drives down the road, his radio booming. He drives like a mad man down the roads. He was having a good time until he heard a siren behind him. He mumbles a curse word to himself and pulls over.

"Step out of your vehicle, son." He hears the officer say. Ren steps out of the car and turns to the officer.

"Is there a problem, officer?"  Ren asks as he leans on his car.

"Driver's license." the officer demands. Ren grabs his license and hands it to the officer. "Massachusetts, huh?" Ren nods. "You got that music cranked pretty loud, Mr. McCormack." Ren rolls his eyes.

"You gonna throw me in jail for playing Quiet Riot?" The officer gives him a look.

"Let's watch that attitude, son."

"Yankee sarcasm." Ren mumbles.

"What was that?"

"Nothing. Sir." The officer brushes it off and continues.

"You'll have to appear in court."

"For what?" Ren asks.

"Disturbing the peace." The officer says before handing him a ticket. "Peaceful out here, isn't it?" Ren huffs before getting in his yellow bug and heading back home.

Author's Note
sooooo how do we like it???