55. Things I should do

Start from the beginning

"I'm tougher than I look."

Today marks the day Hyerin officially joins Shadow Moon organization.

One month has passed since she officially became an agent.

Hwan is standing on a balcony from one of his restaurants. He is looking down on the street. Tonight is festival lantern night. Families are celebrating outdoors. Eating snacks from street vendors. Children are singing while playing with each others.

Hwan smiles while fanning himself.

Hyerin asks, "You love festivals?"

"Oh, it's you. When I see kids are smiling, I felt everything we have done are worthy. The commoners could live happily. Our country is strong enough to protect them."

"Hmm..."

Hyerin couldn't look away from him. She always thought Hwan was a womanizer. She learned from other agents that Hwan is a strict leader. He never touched the whores, his subordinates.

Hwan is a cunning man. Hard to deceive him. He could do anything to achieve his goal. She should be scared at him.

A servant whispers something into his ear. Hwan's smile fades away. He straightens his back and closes his fan.

Hwan orders, "Tell the others, time for banquet."

"Yes, Master."

Hwan stares Hyerin.

He orders, "You, newbie, stay here."

Hwan and five agents set out at once.

Hyerin isn't the type who listen to him easily. She secretly follows them.

Fifty men dressed as peasants are attacking the prime minister's gate at night. The guards are having hard times to defend the gate.

Hwan and his agents attack them at once. Hyerin sits down on rooftops, watching them. Hwan kills his opponents with agile movements. He always attacks vital parts. Leaving no chance for survival.

Finally all the foes have been slain. Hwan wipes blood from his face.

Yamato again.

They couldn't kill the Emperor. So they aimed for the prime minister.

He orders, "Double the security. If possible, sent the prime minister and his family into the palace complex in the morning."

The palace complex has seventy empty palace. Most of them have remained empty since his grandpa's era. 

When Hwan returns to the restaurant, Hyerin has already arrived. She is busy eating a sweet yam filled bun.

Hwan asks, "Does it taste good?"

She nods her head.

Hwan asks, "Do you enjoy our performance earlier?"

"You know?"

"I must be dumb if I didn't know you're up there. Don't worry. We don't usually hold banquet too often."

It seems banquet is a code name for annihilation.

Hwan grabs a bun and eats it. Killing always makes him starving. He is already numb to killing. When he first killed someone, he couldn't eat meat for the whole week.

Suddenly Hyerin says, "Yes."

"What?"

"Yes, I will marry you."

"When did I propose to you?"

Hyerin glares at him before she rises from her seat. She snatches the plate of bun before leaving.