﹙ 𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢 ﹚ apologies and amortentia

🖇·˚ ༘ ┊͙[ chapter thirteen ] ! ˊˎ

╰─▸ lies, progress and unwanted attraction

THERE WAS NO FURTHER EVIDENCE OF MY UNCLE being in the castle, and the whole "sleeping in the great hall" shenanigans blew over quite fast. The talk of Sirius Black himself, however, did not.

As the three of us approached the potions classroom, Spencer thought it adequate to ask exactly what I didn't want her to. "Hey y/n, we never saw you in the great hall that night after you and Will spoke to Dumbledore. Where did you go?"

Ava spoke up, adding to the conversation, "Yeah, where were you? When we woke up, you weren't with us."

I searched for the best thing to say, that would result in no further questions and no further suspicions. "Oh yeah, well I came in late, so there was no room near you." I shrugged.

"So," Spencer ushered me encouragingly, hinting that I should continue my explanation, and actually answer their question. When I didn't, she tried again, "Where did you sleep?"

"Oh, I uh," I scratched the back of my neck, subtly. "I slept the other side of the Slytherin corner. There was space next to a few second years." I said, with no more stuttering.

Apparently satisfied with my answer, with no more questions with a desperate desire to be answered, we arrived in the dungeons and made our way to our separate seats.

Cedric Diggory was perched on the stool beside mine. "Hey," I said, with a feeble smile.

The Hufflepuff glanced up from the table, at the movement beside him, and smiled back at me. "Hey."

I sat beside him, staring at the blank chalkboard, that was covered in dusty white clouds. "How are you?" I asked.

He chuckled slightly, "I'm fine, why?" he asked, I assume curious as to why I had taken a sudden interest in his well-being.

"Well, what do you mean why?" I furrowed my eyebrows, as I drew my eyes away from the front to look at him. "I'm asking you how you are, that's not weird, that's normal."

Cedric's smirk tugged at his mouth, but he still spoke with narrowed eyes, "You've literally never asked me how I am before."

"Alright fine, bloody hell, I won't do it again then." I snapped.

His smirk was a lot more evident now, even as he looked down at his work, "That's more like it."

Once his chuckle had silenced, and the semi-awkward lull had returned, along with any traces of my smile now extinguished, I turned to face him a little more, "Look, I wanted to apologize for the other day. You know, when I ... " I trailed off, using my hand to gesture something that is moving forward in a weak manner.

Cedric stretched out his neck, almost as if he was close to finishing my sentence for me, "Snapped at me in front of a load of people with no proper motive behind it, resulting in my embarrassment?" he said, with a raised brow and a tilted head. I nodded sheepishly. "Okay, go on then." he motioned with his hand.

I narrowed my eyes, "What do you mean?"

Cedric paused, "You were going to apologize," his voice decreased in volume.

I sat up straighter, "I just did."

The boy chuckled softly, "No, you just said you were going to."

I stared for a second, my mouth hung open just a little, "Ohh ... right." I pointed hesitantly. "Well, Ced- Diggory.'' I corrected myself, "I am very ... s-sor," I stumbled on my words, as he continued to encourage me with a smirk.