GothicLit's An Illegitimate Estate

I was surprised to hear that my aunt Elvira had left me her estate. I never quite got along with her when I was younger, nor when I became an adult. There must be a catch. Why else would she leave her whole estate with me, her least favorite niece, in her will? Without a catch, It just wouldn't make sense.

I rolled up down the windows of my red truck as I cruised into the small town aunt Elvira used to live in. I spat out some particles of dirt that flew in from the dirt road and parked off to the side of the road. I hopped out and locked my car as I looked around for someone to ask for directions. It has certainly been a while since I had been in this part of the west.

I spotted a greasy old guy looking at a pile of leaves in the park nearby and decided to test my luck. I walked over to him with a friendly smile and tried to ignore the sudden blast of cold weather.

"Hello sir, " I said in a casious tone.

The greasy old guy looked up from his pile of leaves and spat a glob of yellow spit next to my foot. "Whatcha want?" he growled. 

I backed away to a safe distance before speaking, " I"m looking for the estate that once belonged to Elvira Robbers. Do you happen to know where that is?"

The old man laughed, " Never heard of 'er and that place don't exist. You're crazier than me. Are you sure you aren't on somethin'?"

I sighed and left the park as he cackled at my retreating back Thanks a lot luck. The next person I saw was a plump woman carrying antique looking Halloween decorations out into her front yard. 

"Excuse me mam," I said as I approached her, " do you happen to know where I can find the Estate that once belonged to Elvira Robbers?"

She turned away from a splintering skeleton made out of wood and gave me a warm smile. "I'm sorry honey, " she said in a thick accent, "I've lived here my whole life and I've never heard of her. You might be rememberin' the wrong name. Go look around town and see if you remember any of the buildings."

I did as she suggested and found myself standing in an open field that looked familiar. There was one problem, I couldn't see any building resembling the gothic estate I used to visit as a child. This must be some kind of prank my cousins decided to pull. I scanned the field one last time, and a small structure caught my eye. 

I walked towards it and it turned out to be a grave. I squinted at the fading letters on the stone.

Noire Robbers.

Why is my name on the grave?

Am I dead?