Horror's Lock On the Floor

I rubbed my tired eyes and spared a glance at the clock. It was one o clock in the morning. It should be okay to turn off my porch lights and put away the candy bowl. Anyone awake at this time on Halloween would be at a club dancing and drinking their life away. 

As I grabbed the bowl and turned away from my locked door, I heard a soft knock on my door, too soft to be a grown adult. Who lets their kid look around for candy this late? With a sigh, I turned back around and grabbed the door's knob with my free hand.

The door creaked as I opened it slowly to peak through the gap, but I saw no one there. I opened the door wider and looked around into the cold night. No one was even remotely close to my house. It must have been my imagination. I started to close the door, but something caught my eye.

Is that a long lock of hair on my porch? I rubbed my tired watering eyes and bent down to look closer. It seemed to be too long for someone to have on their head. I shook my head. It was probably part of someone's costume.

I went back inside where it was warmer and closed the door. I double-checked that it was locked before heading to my bedroom. Just as I was getting in bed, I heard something clatter to the floor outside my room. I took off my warm covers and grumbled to myself as I walked out of my room.

I saw my candy bowl now empty on the floor and the window near my front door open. I scratched my head. I could swear the candy bowl had been half-empty earlier, and I know the window should be closed. 

I shuffled over to the bowl, and as I bent down to pick it up, another object nearby clattered to the floor. I placed the bowl on a nearby table and whirled around, looking for whatever fell. It was a decorative owl with glowing eyes that I had switched on. Its eyes fluttered on and off as I noticed something nearby it.

Is that...hair?

It looked like the same kind of hair I found on my porch, but it couldn't be. No one came inside my house this night, and it definitely isn't mine. I sighed and decided to go back to bed. I wouldn't be seeing this in the morning.

I felt a tickling sensation and looked down to see thick black hair wrapping itself around my ankles. Before I could think of anything to do, It wrapped itself around my body and quickly moved up toward my head. Paralyzed with fear, I stared down at the black hair, willing it to go away and wishing this was just a bad dream. 

I blinked, and the hair was around my mouth. It slowly moved up my head and over my eyes.