Chapter 9

Chapter 9- "Are we friends?"

Robin/Richard

The day after Kasanoda's moe scene wasn't so comfortable for me. I walked to each of my classes as usual but I was still quite awkward with the situation floating around in my head. Haruhi is a girl. My mind was contemplating on my morals while the heart was torn in two. I liked being friends with Haruhi but knowing he was actually a she, I didn't feel as if we wouldn't be able to talk anymore. No one was supposed to know the secret, especially a bunch of newbies. Garfield didn't seem shocked at the fact and Rachel didn't really care either way, not looking to make friends. I regarded on whether or not if I should tell Haruhi I know. My legs shook as I sat at my desk, anticipating the twins to arrive first and then her. My head was dripping with sweat, I have no idea why I was so no nervous. Was it because I really wanted to remain friends? Was it because I was hoping she wouldn't be upset? She didn't seem too upset when Kasanoda found out, heck she didn't even get mad when he accidentally walked in on her changing her clothes. Or at least that's what I was thinking. The rest of the host club didn't seem to mind having him around after his obvious rejection. I also pitied the guy, that doesn't mean we need to be friends but I didn't mind him either.

Here I am, in class, anxious for her arrival. I glance at the door every now and then before I flip our textbook to a random page. I look at the contents of each page, not really sinking in the words, only listening. Listening for the chattering of two twins, obnoxiously loud and open. And then the faint foot steps of their quiet friend, Haruhi. I wait for another moment before actually thinking about how I would approach him, um her. I jotted down my thoughts onto a scrap of paper as the teacher walked through the door. The twins came in soon after, bounding off to their desks. They were relieved they weren't late yet. Each of them then realized, Haruhi got left behind. Their faces turned pale as a few moments past and Haruhi slid in through the door, panting as she tried to catch her breath.

"You guys," she breathed in huffs as she crawled to her desk. "I can't believe you just took off! Wait, never mind, I would believe it but still!" She caught her breath once she sat down, the teacher giving her a look that she should've just walked and gotten here much quieter. The twins apologized and the teacher began the lessons for today. I tried to pay attention but my eyes kept wandering to the back of the class. Kaoru was writing down notes while Hikaru tried talking with Haruhi, who deeply concentrated on the teacher. I turned back to the piece of paper I had on my desk. It still read aloud to me of what I wanted to say to her while the back of my mind was telling me not to worry about it. I glanced once more to the back, this time Hikaru was taking notes while Kaoru tried to make Haruhi smile. Just like the first time, Haruhi was still focused on the lesson. I admired her concentration and the twins for their persistence. I wrote down some of the last notes as the bell to end class rung. I walked outside, waiting near the door for Haruhi. I held the small scrap paper in my hand, hoping that I could somehow form words when I see her.

"Hey Richard, how are you?" It was the most innocent question but it still made me lose the ability to speak. The twins were behind her, glaring at me, seeing me as their personal target. I grabbed Haruhi by the arm and led her to near the bathrooms. I stopped and pointed at the men's door. She looked at me confused, tilting her head slightly. She asked me, "Do you need to go? Do you need help?" I groaned in annoyance as my mouth continued not to work.

"I know." It came out as a whisper, barely audible but clearly heard. She laughed and smiled at me.

"Is that all?" She wasn't trying to mock me. She probably thought it was ridiculous of how I was acting. Some new transfer, trying to tell her that they now know her secret and she couldn't care less. I felt relief wash over me as she didn't become angered. I guess I was just being silly.