"I - I'm really sorry, Your Majesty, but - I really can't remember," she said softly, tearing her eyes from Ruby's gaze. 

Redmoon must be quite important for the Queen of the Sky Kingdom to be ready to claw apart the mountains to find him.

Ruby let out a puff of black smoke, obviously frustrated. "That's fine, Cloudburst. If you don't mind, I would like you to stay at the Palace for a few days. It looks like those wounds need some fixing up. Guards, escort her to a room. See to it that a healer looks at her cuts, and make sure she is well-fed. Dismissed." 

In other words, I'm stuck here as a prisoner for the forseeable future.  

Aerie and Cormorant bowed low once more, then they released Cloudburst and guided her from the throne room to an immense hallway with ceilings that soared high above their heads.

"You are free to roam the Palace, but do not leave," Aerie growled, before pushing Cloudburst inside the room and slamming the door in her face. 

Cloudburst stood, dumbstruck, before shaking out her wings and rolling her eyes. SkyWings really were the grumpiest tribe. She turned and surveyed the room. A soft breeze swsssssshed through an open window, and sheer white curtains danced lazily back and forth. Soft pelts and pillows were arranged neatly in a corner, and a pool of water ringed with shimmering gold talonprints was carved into the floor.

This must be a room for visiting royalty, Cloudburst thought.

Cloudburst plodded over to the pelts and collapsed, strength seeping from her bones. Her battered body was already barely able to handle the flight across the Sky Kingdom, much less the one to the palace. She sank further into the furry pelts, grateful for the relief a comfortable place to sleep brought to her exhausted frame.

As long as she was here, she might as well try to salvage some information from her damaged memories. Cloudburst took a deep breath and relaxed, stilling the raging sea of her mind and imagining its waters calming to a clear, deep blue. She dug through her most recent memories and brought the image of Redmoon to the forefront of her mind. She took in every detail of this memory, trying to remember the slight curve of his long horns and the mischievous wrinkle to his snout. Gasping suddenly, Cloudburst collapsed as a string of memories poured violently through her skull:

Redmoon laughing at something Mesa said, his eyes crinkling at the corners and marbled crimson-and-silver wings flaring.

Redmoon diving from the sky and killing a mountain goat quickly and efficiently with his sharp, ridged talons. 

Redmoon hissing furiously and tackling a NightWing who was pointing a knife at Queen Ruby.

Redmoon flying after her, gaze frantic, eyes wide, pleading with her to stop and think as the wind howled around them and drowned out his voice. 

Cloudburst cried out and collapsed, a white-hot pain flaring in bursts through her skull. Panting, she clutched her pounding head, trying to make sense of the cascade of memories that had flooded through her broken mind.

Knock knock.

A gentle pounding came from the other side of the thick wooden door, accompanied by a soft voice.

"Hello? Cloudburst? May I come in?"

Cloudburst squinted and sat up slowly, shaking her head to get rid of the fogginess, the soft light in the room suddenly feeling like daggers in her eyes. She walked over to the door and opened it, mustering the friendliest look she could.

"Yes, hello. Please come in." 

A small, pale orange-yellow dragon with startling fiery orange eyes stepped into the room, clutching a pouch. He dipped his head with a friendly smile.

"Hi. I'm Tanager."

His voice was low and soothing, and Cloudburst relaxed a bit, smiling in return. Tanager began rifling through his small pouch and pulled out a roll of bandages. He gestured for Cloudburst to come nearer, and grasped her arm gently. He began applying ointment and binding her wounds firmly.

"Do you remember how this happened?"

Cloudburst balked, feeling a strange sense of guilt squeeze her insides.

Why should I feel guilty?

"N - no, sorry, I - I don't," Cloudburst stuttered, fear curling its spindly talons inside her chest.

Why am I afraid? 

What did I do?

1,232 words. Moving along, my friends! >:D

- Angel