𝟏𝟑𝟑. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐝

Start from the beginning

Elle nodded slowly,
"Where will Verity go?"
"Probably to her house, why?"
"She shouldn't stay on her own" Elle piped up "if we have to go into hiding... it would drive me crazy"
"She'll stay with us then" shrugged George "I'm sure Fred won't oppose.

"I can't believe this is happening" Elle sighed angrily,
"I know me neither" George muttered as he grabbed her hand "but we'll be ok"
"I know we will... as long as we're together"
"It'll pass... it did last time and it will again"

"I love you" George added as he stared into Elle's deep brown eyes,
"I love you more" murmured the brunette,
"Impossible"

✰✰✰

Life had been uncertain before but it was even more so now. Fred, George, Verity and Elle were pretty much confined to the flat, unable to work, unable to communicate properly.
They could still go to the burrow and they'd occasionally have visitors at their own place but life was a lot more dim than it had been.

This had been coming for a while, slowly sneaking up on them all. Elle wished she had appreciated the feeling she felt while dancing at the wedding more wishing she could feel something like that again.
Elle had always said that life with the twins was never dull and although that were true, their presence didn't bring the joy it usually did.

Of course the brunette didn't blame them. They had absolutely no news on their youngest brother, he was out there risking his neck and everyone had to sit back and hope for the best. It was torture.
The days dragged on so slowly. They tried to fill them with fun such as wizards chess or exploding snap but it got boring after a while.

They couldn't send letters as they were all being checked. Instead they saw others once a week when they'd apperate between house holds for low toned discussions and more fear.
Molly was on edge the whole time, the slightest wrong word would send her over the edge into fits of tears.

Sleepless nights contained Elle's life as she stared out at the stars as she always did. However the nights were becoming cloudier. She suspected this was because of the rising rate of dementors sweeping through the streets looking for some joy to kill. Elle had already seen a few gliding down Diagonalley. They still gave her the creeps.

Days soon became weeks and Elle couldn't help but wonder how long this would all go on for. Harry was allegedly stopping it but (although she had faith in him) that wasn't an easy task. For all they knew it could be five years before anything changed. Maybe even more. Of course everyone hoped it wouldn't be, but how were they to know?

More bad news came in September with the daily prophet. It seemed going to Hogwarts was compulsory for every British wizarding child ,expect those muggle born, as well as that Snape had taken over role as headmaster. Not only was Elle furious he betrayed everyone, but he was also the cause of George's missing ear which made her even angrier.

The ministry rules had shifted too. Apparently all muggle borns had to go to the ministry to submit questioning as they couldn't be real wizards and witches and had allegedly stolen magic somehow. There had been a list made of wanted muggleborns. Elle was obviously not a muggle born but being in a family with a muggle mother, a squib father and a werewolf uncle definitely didn't bode well for her.

Luckily the enchantments protecting the shop were staying put and it was impossible to get in without invitation. Elle didn't know how long this would hold up considering the ministry practically controlled everything, however at the moment it helped her feel safe.

✰✰✰

Elle was eating her lunch one afternoon when she heard a faint pop down in the shop. She stood up warily gripping her wand. Hopefully it was just the twins, however considering they hadn't been anywhere and weren't supposed to be going anywhere, this seemed odd. Verity was having a nap and Fred and George had ventured downstairs to take a stock order for what felt like the fifth time this week.

She lingered at the top of the stairs before hearing voices that sounded quite calm. Elle walked slowly down to see the twins standing with Remus.
Elle frowned at the sight of her uncle, his face was more lined and his hair had more grey strands than ever. He looked like he'd been through hell.

"Hi" Elle smiled as she paced down the rest of the stairs "everything ok?"
"Not quite" Remus sighed as he conjured himself a chair to sit in,
"You can come up to the apartment if you want?" Fred offered but Remus declined,
"I'll not be here long... I'm only here to give you news on your brother"

"Ron?" Fred and George both looked up in excitement,
"Yes Ron" Lupin smiled warily,
"Is he ok?"
"Yes it seems the order were right when they presumed Dumbledore had left Harry a job to do"

Elle hopped up to sit on the shops counter while the twins lazily leant against it,
"And Ron's doing it too?" Asked Fred,
"Yes Ron and Hermione are with him"
"Does the job concern vol-"

"DON'T SAY IT" Remus yelled suddenly causing Elle to jump and nearly fall over the back of the counter, luckily George grabbed her arm,
"Alright calm down" Elle muttered,
"I'm sorry" Remus sat back down "there's rumours that his name has been taboo'd"

"What?"
"He can find people who use his name, usually his enemies say it so it's an effective method"
"Ok we won't say it" Elle nodded,
"But does the job involve that?" Fred continued.

"Yes it does" nodded Remus, "I offered my help but Harry declined"
"Why did he do that?"
Remus didn't answer at first,
"What happened?" Fred prompted.

"It got a bit heated actually" Remus sighed "I regret how I acted but... he called me a coward"
"He did what?!" Elle cried out "why the hell would he do that if you were offering help... that's the opposite of cowardice"
"You dont understand" sighed Remus "you see, I've made a terrible mistake"

"What?" Said Elle,
"Athena is pregnant"
Silence fell for a moment. Elle felt a leap of joy at the idea of having a cousin however this was diminished by the look of regret embedded in her uncles face,
"Um... congratulations?" Muttered George.

"That's a good thing" Elle half smiled,
"I've ruined her life" Remus groaned "I shouldn't have married her"
"She loves you and you love her that's all that matters"
"No it doesn't" Remus snapped "my kind dont breed, I've put this burden on her this... disease"

"I'm sure she doesn't see it that way" argued Elle,
"No of course she doesn't" Remus retorted "because she doesn't understand"
"Hang on" Elle interrupted "you were going to abandon her to help Harry... your child and your wife"
"I have no choice" he pleaded "you have to understand that"

"I don't" Elle shook her head "I'm sure your child will be fine, Athena is not in danger she understands as well as you do and don't deny it"
Silence fell again as Remus stared at the ground. For a moment Elle thought he might yell at her when he looked up but he looked saddened.

"You're right" he nodded "god I'm such an idiot"
"You're not an idiot or a coward" Elle defended "but Athena needs you and you need her"
He nodded,
"We're going to have a child" he smiled and to Elle's pleasure she saw a smile appear on his face.

"That's the spirit" Fred grinned finally glad that this awkward conversation was over,
"Can I say congratulations properly now?" George asked and Remus nodded,
"My apologies for being so dramatic" he smiled "I'm just stressed"
"It's understandable" Elle shrugged.

Remus did not linger for a drink as he apparently had an overdue apology to make to Athena. They shook hands and hugged goodbye before watching Remus disappear out of sight.
Although the world was dark and bleak, at least there was some good news going around.
Elle was going to have a cousin.

✰✰✰