Scars

-Note- This is my first one-shot for this book. It is based off of a quote by Hiroki Kamijou. I don't remember the whole thing, so this is the first part of the quote: "Is there a limit to how much you can love someone? No matter how much I hurt him or get hurt by him I find myself far from hating him..."

-Len's POV-

"Get away from me!" Kaito pushes me away from him.

I do nothing. Even though Kaito's hitting me, I can't fight back. I don't want to and I wouldn't be able to do so even if I did. We are a "couple".

Why do I say couple like that?

Kaito's constantly mad at me for things I don't even understand. Some of his arguments are decent- Our age difference is rather large. I'm 18, he's 23. But isn't age just a number?

Even if Kaito hates me, I keep trying to love him. I want any wounds he's left, physical or emotional, to scar so that I will never forget him, even if he leaves forever. I'd rather take pain than deal it. It wasn't until recently that Kaito started switching from love to hate. I don't know what made him.

We've been dating for over four years, since I was 14 and he was 19. I confessed to Kaito. I only confessed because I heard rumors that he was gay.

About two months ago I proposed. Kaito said no, that he wasn't ready yet, but he still loved me. Now he says "I love you" and holds me after our fights. I don't even know if he loves me anymore.

"Please stop, Kaito. I love you, so stop." I beg, bracing for the next impact.

Something in Kaito breaks.

"I'm so sorry! Oh, what has gotten into me? I love you, I love you, I love you!" Kaito cries out, pulling me into his arms.

This is what Kaito always does when I beg for him to stop. I don't know if I can believe him. I can't count the amount of fights he's ended with "I'm sorry, I love you."

"Kaito, why do you keep hurting me? I love you, you keep saying you love me, so can't you stop?" I cry. "Forever?"

This is the first time I've ever talked to Kaito about our "situation".

"When you proposed, I said no because I felt I wasn't ready. I thought that even though I said no, I should've said yes. I became angry with myself and took my rage out on you. I'll try to stop."

"Not try, do."

"Correction: I will stop forever." Kaito holds me even tighter and puts his head on my shoulder.

"I've kept the ring with me every day since I proposed. I would put the box in my pocket every single day. And every day I promised myself that I'd propose, or at the very least remember everything." I break away from Kaito's embrace, get down on one knee, and pull out the box with the ring. "I love you, you love me. Will you marry me?"

"Of course." I put the ring on Kaito's finger and kiss him. "And I promise I will never hurt you again."

I will never forget what Kaito has done to me. Some of the physical wounds he's left will permanently scar. But even if I tried, I'd never be able to hate him. I'd never even be able to stop loving him. I did try a few times. It just caused me more pain.

The only times that were always peaceful after I proposed the first time were when we went to bed and when we woke up. Any other time and there could be a fight at any time.

But now we will be together forever. And I will forgive Kaito for everything he's done. It will be difficult, but I will forgive him. Because if I don't forgive him, we'll both be lugging something around in our hearts. Kaito- guilt. Me- regret.

At the wedding, when the priest said "You may kiss the groom", Kaito kissed me softly and pulled me close to him. It was the start of our lives together, it was the best day of our lives.

Whenever we kissed from that day on we kissed slowly and sweetly, holding each other close, enjoying every tender moment we could. We didn't try to forget our past, we just tried to live with and accept it.

We might adopt kids along the line, we might not, but the one thing I know for sure is that we will be together forever.

"Is there a limit to how much you can love somebody? No matter how much I hurt him or get hurt my him, I find myself far from hating him, actually hoping that these wounds will scar, like burns... because then you can never forget me."
-Hiroki Kamijou