Birthday candles. Part 5

“Hyoyeon ah, happy birthday. Happy belated birthday. Because of our tour and schedules we couldn’t celebrate your birthday. Not even at night.” Taeyeon announced as the leader, armed with a chocolate cake which had been supplied with much more whipped cream before.

                Hyoyeon was hardly prone to crying, and so she didn’t. She simply thanked everyone, made a cute pose, pulled her cap down low and ordered everyone to sit down and eat.

                Back in the dorm, it was a while before So Nyuh Shi Dae’s new song would be released, and working hard preparing for it and attending interviews, Hyoyeon’s birthday had gone, well, uncelebrated. Tiffany, who had her hair dyed slick black again, linked an arm through Taeyeon and Yuri’s, forcing herself to smile.

                Two hours and much crying later, streamers hung from the ceiling and helium balloons had been sucked dry. Confetti had rained the floor, and everyone had vowed to clean up afterwards. Only two girls sat at the dining table with forks over a piece of cake.

                “Are you sad?” Taeyeon asked, flipping her fringe behind her ear.

                Tiffany poked at the whipped cream and managed to hold in a sniff. Her short bob was back, and she was more than thankful, although she felt much younger, more innocent.

                “No,” Tiffany shook her head, her voice getting lower and thicker.

                “What is it then?” Taeyeon looked at the girl who refused to look up and was busy tormenting the cake with her tiny pitchfork.

                There was a silence, but a silence of persistence. Taeyeon still looked straight into the eyes of Tiffany, who looked down before raising her head and letting her fork fall.

                “You know how our coming-of-age ceremony was supposed to be something we would remember?” Tiffany asked with resolve, already expecting a different answer.

                “Yes?”

                “It hasn’t been that way for any of us. I miss my parents and my family and my dog.” Tiffany let the tears flow without acknowledging that they were painting her cheeks, the droplets getting smaller and smaller.

                “So you felt that it was incomplete for us.” Taeyeon nodded now, understanding and staring down.

                “I’ve found a lot,” Tiffany continued, looking at Taeyeon, “and lost some. I don’t want to have missed out on what I should have had, or anyone of us should have had, if we didn’t join this business.”

                “It was our choice.” Taeyeon spoke, “And it’s over. Is there anything I could do?”

                Tiffany didn’t seem to have heard a thing. She was rambling on about the coming-of-age ceremony. Something about a rose, perfume and a kiss.

                “The three things we were supposed to get, remember.” Tiffany laughed, tears still falling.

                Taeyeon had to laugh at this. They were still childish, wishing a prince might come and sweep them off their feet.

                “Well.” Taeyeon smiled, picking a flower from the bouquet on the table. “Here’s your rose.”

                Tiffany laughed, her eye smile surfacing despite her desperation for something more.

                “I got you perfume a while ago, so don’t you dare.” Taeyeon wagged a finger.

                Tiffany couldn’t help but break down at Taeyeon’s dorkiness and sort of sweetness, and pulled the flower into her hair, just above her ear. Then she reached for another stalk, bent the flower off the stem and pushed it into the kid leader’s hair.

                “This, would be for both of us.” Tiffany leaned in, closed her eyes and let her lips touch the other girl’s bewildered ones. They didn’t move, but held it there for a few seconds, before Tiffany pulled herself away and laughed.

                Taeyeon’s eyes were wide open with shock, but soon became calm.

                “Perfume?” Taeyeon held out a hand.

                “Yah.” Tiffany frowned and slapped Taeyeon’s hand, before leaning in once more and kissing Taeyeon’s cheek. “Does that make up for it?”

                Taeyeon sighed, considering the strange beat in her chest and then shrugging. “Fine.”

                “Coming to bed?” Tiffany stood, still holding Taeyeon’s hand.

                “I’ll be cleaning up your mess first, wife.” Taeyeon shook her head, looked up at the taller girl and then watched as she waved and made her way into the room.