Mushrooms. Part 4

There must be something about that way you get flustered. There must be something about that worried look on your face and the way that your face reddens when you cry that’s so mesmerising. If it didn’t upset you, I would love to see your upset face everyday.

                “That must have been the millionth poster I’ve signed.” Sooyoung groaned. “Without food!”

                The new posters of their individual beauty shots for ‘The Boys’ needed signing, and the nine girls needed something better to do. They had been scheduled for a few interviews and radio shows that day, and then a pile of their pictures dumped on them in the mini bus to be signed.

                Hyoyeon was smiling really happily, almost unnaturally, perfectly fine that her birthday had gone ignored for two weeks straight. Or not. On purpose, no one had wished her or reminded her of it, by her request. But honestly they weren’t planning to keep to that promise, just waiting for the right time to break it.

                Yoona rested her head upon Yuri’s shoulder, her hand still moving sloppily across the page, tired out. Seohyun was putting much effort into it and making imprints in the glossy paper. Taeyeon, of impossible speed, had finished them all. Tiffany was seated by herself in the front seat and finding much fault with every single signature.

                “Mushroom, stop fretting. Our stop’s around here.” Hyoyeon told her, chirping cheerfully.

                Tiffany pouted. It took her back to the days where blusher was not allowed and her hair was a short, stylish bob. Then she flipped her head back to the posters and signed them with flourish.

                “Mushroom.” Taeyeon said to the air, trying the word out on her tongue.

                Tiffany turned to make a face again.

                “Brighter than mushrooms Fany Fany Tiffany!” Sunny and Taeyeon, seated next to each other in the first seating row, slanted their heads to the left and did the inverted commas gesture cutely against their cheeks.

                “Nngh.” Tiffany huffed at them, her long, dark fringe lifting up slightly.

                When did you mature? When did you stop being ‘brighter than mushrooms Tiffany’? I will take that look off your face and reveal your stark innocence beneath that mask. Still, when you smile, it all comes back. Smile.

                “What did you say, Kim Taeyeon?” Yuri took out one headphone, watching the murmuring kid leader as she mumbled to herself.

                “Aish.” Taeyeon gave her nonsense answer before deciding to draw the curtains, blocking out the noisy cars and motorbikes outside, and lean on the car door to fall into a much needed slumber.